LEARNING SELF-ANALYSIS

After the completion of my Associate Degree in Nursing at Kingsborough Community College in 2009, I gained employment at Home Health Management Services Incorporated. During this time, I started yearning for more knowledge in nursing and decided to continue my education by gaining entrance into a baccalaureate nursing program. After doing my own research and obtaining feedback from various students, I decided to apply to New York City College of Technology; a decision I do not regret especially with the new proposal supported by the American Nurses Association, regarding BSN-10.

The Baccalaureate Nursing Program curriculum at NYC College of Technology; which encompasses didactic courses, is one  that integrates skills training with academic and theoretical concepts. The program focuses a lot on ethical and legal issues in healthcare, nursing research, evidence based practice, leadership, critical thinking, case management, health promotion and cultural diversity. The knowledge and skills gained from this BSN program has really enhanced my performance and competence as a nurse and made me aware of the things I were truly ignorant about before. I could truly say that the BSN courses prepares nurses for the complex health care system that exist today because nursing of the 21st century is certainly different than that of the 20th century. Having basic nursing skills in my opinion is simply not enough because nursing is an evolving profession and as nurses we need to advance in our profession. I am in support of the BSN-10 because I have experienced the changes in my motivation, critical thinking skills, performance level and communication abilities with the interdisciplinary team. My approach to patient care is now more of an outcome oriented one.

I extend a heart felt thank you to the faculty of NYC College of Technology Nursing program for helping me advance in my nursing profession. You truly contributed in my growth to becoming a well-rounded Registered Nurse.