Reflection #2 Chapter 4-6

In the chapter Aurora introduces a new character named Aurora who is a drug addict who has landed herself in a detention center who was on and off relationships with Yunior who is technically now a teenager around 15 years old living in an area that is basically a bad neighborhood where drugs are being traded at and hanging around with bad friends that influences you the bad way such as his friend Cut who he and Yunior to get high on drugs. Through these harsh times Yunior is going to be able to help Aurora to get her clean.

In the chapter Aguantando sets back when Yunior was 9 years old in the Dominican Republic of how the first chapter started out but this chapter is now experience living there lives since Yunior’s father was absent since he went to the United States to find wealth and someday bring his family over to the United but hasn’t returned to bring them leaving  their mother had to work long hours with barely any pay and since then Yunior’s family has been living off very poor in the Dominican Republic hoping for their father to return and bring them to the United States.  

The story has short stories that summarizes Yunior’s life as seen in the chapter Drown shows Yunior as a high school student. In this chapter Yunior is mostly seen with his friend Beto who went to the same high school as Yunior and tries to hangout with Yunior before Beto goes to college at which he is a first year majoring in Business. As they are hanging out they recall the days how they shoplift various stores in the mall and that they often jump the fence to have a little swim in the pool. As stated this is a friend who was mostly in criminal activities that influences Yunior to use drugs since his father was absent from most of his life as he was now in Florida with another woman. Later on Yunior and Beto started to develop feelings of sexuality meaning they have fallen with each other in terms coming out of the closet and yet again had these same feelings while Beto and Yunior were watching porn. Once Beto left for college the chapter ends with Yunior watching a movie with his mother. 

After reading the chapters it has a message that reflects on to me based on reading these chapters.In Aurora I reflect on how I must do anything to get a crush to fall for me even though that Yunior is trying to do anything to keep his love for Aurora together even though they have a bad relationship sorta how i wanted a girl to love for me even though it was a relationship but to try hard on doing what you got to do when it comes to love.  In the chapter Aguantando it reflected on me on how during most of my childhood my parents had to work long hours which I was cared for at my grandparents house during the time sorta reflects how Yunior’s mother was working long hours to provide for her family knows what it was like remember how I spent during my childhood years. How I reflect in chapter Drown would most likely be apart of how feelings towards one friend to another could be confusing or to me something worried on whether they have the same feeling towards you sorta but opposite since Yunior is considered “gay” in this particular scene in this chapter. Overall as the story progresses I would reflect on Yunior’s life towards mine as well to know what it was remember my life.