Effectiveness

Teaching Effectiveness

In the 12 years that I’ve been teaching, I’ve grown a lot as an educator. I try to create student-centered classrooms where there is space for students to critically reflect on their experiences and offer feedback about the efficacy of activities and assignments. I have also learned a tremendous amount from collaborative teaching with faculty from across the college and from sharing strategies and outcomes with peers in my department. Iteration and experimentation are built into my methodology and I believe there is always room for improvement. I have consistently received positive reviews and helpful feedback on my teaching from classroom observations and student evaluations. 

Assessment initiatives for Library Instruction

In my role on the library department instruction team, I have researched and implemented new methods to assess student learning and faculty satisfaction with library information literacy sessions. From 2016-2017 we piloted a pre / post instruction quiz and gathered responses from thousands of students. This data shed light on what students know about research (in aggregate) when they walk in the classroom and how much our instruction improves their capacity to find, evaluate, and cite sources. 

Last year, we also piloted a post-instruction survey for English faculty that I helped develop. This survey provided insight into what research skills we should prioritize in our information literacy sessions. It also included questions about teaching platforms and modalities that we will use while exploring new possibilities for integrating library research guides and tutorials into educational technology platforms like Blackboard and OpenLab.