Fall 2016 - Professor Kate Poirier

Introducing Josiel Nunez

As you can see my name is Josiel Nunez and I grew up here in New York City. I currently reside in the Bronx, and I think I want to move away from the city someday. I’ve always loved math since middle school and I think the reason is because I can grasp concepts fairly quickly. Math Education wasn’t originally my career option but I’ve always had a feeling that I would become a teacher. I used to be a Civil Engineer major. What made me change was how passionate I was to educate others. I love passing down knowledge and I hope I do a great job at it.

My hobbies includes playing guitar and piano, and I love tech. I can rant on about technology, I know how to build computers, fix computers, I just love tinkering with devices. I currently work for HP as a sales representative for the company. So in terms of teaching as my career, my job allows me to teach others (consumers) about the latest and greatest products out there now. It works hand in hand in my opinion and I love it.

I am excited for this semester because I love school and I cant wait to educate myself further!

1. Mei Zhu

I also love fixing things. If I learned more about electric, I would like to try to fix watches and hair dryers.

2. Kate Poirier

While they’re both technical pursuits, on the surface, math and engineering might not seem like they have much in common; one is very practical and the other can be extremely theoretical. On the other hand, both are about getting to the bottom of a problem. What makes something work the way it does? What *really* makes it work that way? This is the type of question that motivates engineers and mathematicians alike!