Professor Kate Poirier | OL30 | Fall 2020

Assignment: a new community agreement for remaining HOT topic time slots

Due on the OpenLab Sunday, November 29

The HOT topic time slots during Week 13 will be used for Test #2 interviews. After that, we will have only two more chances for HOT topic presentations (Week 14 and Week 15) since the final exam will be given during Week 16. We’re so close!

At this point, a handful of students have already earned 10 H grades and a few more are close to 10. A few other students are a little behind on H grades and, if we can find time for them, might be able to give two presentations during one week to catch up.

In previous weeks, when students have asked to give two presentations (other than making up for a missed week), I have said no, since I can’t offer second time slots to everyone, it doesn’t seem fair. However, some of the students who are finished or close to finished may be willing to give up their time slot so another student can give a second presentation during Week 15 (or maybe even during Week 14).

The question is: what is a fair and practical way to do this?

One option

One option would be to ask the students willing to give up their time slots to remove their names from the schedule. Then students who would like a second time slot can add their names. (As you all know, my schedule is pretty tight, so I don’t think I’d be able to schedule a second presentation for someone at a time not listed on the schedule.) Then the available slots would be first-come-first serve. So it’s possible that not everyone who wants to give a second presentation would be able to.

One detail would be: if a student removes their name from the schedule for Week 14, they could put it back for Week 15 if they wish.

Assignment

Your assignment this week is: add a comment to this post with your thoughts on how we can proceed on this issue as a class. If you think this option would work or if you have another idea, let us know. You will earn participation credit for your input.

1. Kevinces

I believe students that are behind in H grades and the one close to get 10 H’s should get a bit more of a priority. Students that already have 10 H’s and wanna continue on to standard 11 and 12 presentations would be a first-come, first-serve basis. But the students that already have 10 and don’t want to continue to standard 11 and 12 should give up their time slots.

• Anthony Regner (A278+π)

Hi Kevin,
      Most of the students would agree with your policy. In my opinion, it is most fair that we abide by this policy.

• KatieSalas

I also agree. Once you have 10 H’s, it seems fair to give people who need to catch up on their H’s the time to do so. If people like doing the presentations because it helps to enforce the lesson maybe they can present to their study group? Or form another study group with that specific intention?

• KatieSalas

2. jaquawn MILLER

Once I get my tenth H I am willing to give up my time slot. I think the most important thing is that everyone grasps the concepts of this class. Extra credit is just icing on the plate. Because math is such a challenge for me. Its important to me that my peers grasp the concepts. Last, I am willing to offer my perspective to those struggling to help them catch up, provided I complete this final grade. But HMU you know!

3. Ines Bissat

I agree with what everyone has been saying so far. It’s fair to give the spot to someone that really needs it. It’s an opportunity for those that are behind to catch up and get their 10 H’s.

4. Aram

I agree with everyone who has commented so far. I think for those who need more H’s in their Hot Topic Presentation needs more priority than those who has enough to do well in the Hot Topics section. I believe that those who are behind with their H’s need to do more than one presentation in the next two weeks so they can catch up and that should be sufficient enough for them to pass. I believe that they do need to consent with a student first if they want to take over that student’s hot topic presentation schedule in order for them to do well and get their H’s.

5. Imane

I agree with giving up the time slots to other students who need to catch up. However I do not like what some students said. I feel like some of the comments are saying that students who can give up their time slots are obligated to do so. The comments about that just don’t seat right with me. I do not mind giving up my time slot though.

6. Schear Munawar

As far as online schooling has been, I believe we all know how hard it is to manage. Thus, this option of giving up time slots would be very considerate, especially if you have gotten your 10 H’s. Wouldnt you want fellow students to get that A in class? I know I surely would want everyone to get a great grade!