Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Rakib Hassan, Gurba Critique

What I enjoyed about ā€œPendeja, You Ainā€™t Steinbeck; My Bronca With Fake Ass Social Justice Literatureā€ by Myriam Gurbas, is that her writing style is so nonchalant and full of expletives. She writes as someone on social-media like twitter. Itā€™s somewhat informal but you get at what she wants the reader to know, I could feel her emotions each time I kept reading. Her use of spanglish is also interesting considering that a lot of immigrant families usually mix their own language with english, so you can tell this is from an immigrant’s perspective which is very enjoyable. Another thing about her story I enjoyed was explaining how her grandfather was a publicist and everyone gets shocked. I see it happen a lot with stereotypical misconceptions fogs people’s minds into becoming a sort of truth for them, when told otherwise they are shocked and somewhat confused knowing that the stereotype is not true. 

The only question I have for Gurba is what are her thoughts on savior complexes? Aside from the mess it can produce.

1. Christina C.

I agree with what you are saying about how she has a laid back writing style. She gives the readers a mix of both Spanish and English in her writing. It was interesting that you also noticed that the people were getting shocked because of the stereotypes that are commonly believed.

2. Ariel Itshaik

I completely agree with you about Gurba’s writing style after reading her work. Her writing format is exactly as you said, like something you would see on twitter. She is able to express her ideas in a way she could reach a very large group of people.

3. Zaire Lancaster

I agree with you about Gurba’s writing style. Her use of informal language and unfiltered opinion provides a fresh read and helps her motion shine through to the reader, from every curse to each insult, I’m sure we know how she truly feels. Those combined make the reading feels less like an assignment and more like a blog post or social media rant.

4. Michelle

I agree in that Gurba’s work is written similarly as one would on social media and that you can hear her honestly and feel her emotions towards the subject.