Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Yves Kabore, Meet My Gaming Laptop

During my childhood, I really enjoyed playing with different toys, but getting my first electronic gaming device (a Nintendo game boy) was the best thing I can think of when it comes to having fun at young age. It made me ā€œfall in loveā€ with electronic games and I never really enjoyed having fun unless it was electronic. So, I had laptops before, but there were slow, would barely run smoothly the games I use to like, but I still loaded each one with non 3D games as they require less computer power to run correctly.  

I grew as a huge fan of computers in general and loved disassembling and reassembling them. Thatā€™s how I learned how to upgrade computers and do basic repair such as parts replacement. For 3D gaming, I needed a powerful computer but a computer that can run modern 3D games is expensive. Luckily, I am taking computer engineering major, so I was able to convince my parents to help me get a decent laptop that would run heavy games and be able to handle graphic intensive work because I also had to run computer simulations during my CAD classes. Obviously, I never told my parents that I was also interested by the computerā€™s gaming capabilities.

So, they helped me get an Alienware 17 with quiet good specifications. A 17.3ā€ screen, an Nvidia GTX 1080 graphic card, 32GB RAM, Tobii eye tracking and a 330 Watts charger. At night I would run the laptop built in RGB glowing lights and stare at it till I fall asleep. I also used my laptop to study, do research and stay connected with friends and family. The most important thing I use my laptop for is schoolwork, 3D designing, video editing etcā€¦ My laptop is very important to me especially right now that we have to take classes online. It has been a while now, the laptop is starting to age, I might start doing some upgrades to it and make it hold for more years. It has now become like my second-best friend.

1. Ariel Itshaik

Like you, I was always into computers and technology. My dad and I always try to solve any issue with the electronics we have and we almost always do. I find it somewhat calming to tackle the problems I have and find a fix for them. I love how u found your way to buy and upgrade your own PC. I feel it’s very important to understand exactly what you are doing, especially when it’s your computer. I love how you embedded your love and dedication for your laptop. I really enjoyed reading your story and thank you for sharing it.