Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Sumayah Ayed // Jones critique

I really enjoyed that jones used imagery throughout her whole story unlike other authors, other authors would just use imagery in one to two sentences. But jones literally describes every tiny detail of her journey to school, she describes what she worse even her own underwear!! by imagery it was so easy to understand her story, I never zone out when reading her story because in each sentence there was always something that she was describing. I was just a bit confused when she stated “I stared back at her, “‘ don’t stare'” my mother says to me, you know better than that” I don’t understand what happened to her exactly. was there a fight or a grudge you were holding against? And why couldn’t your mom read or write because in the story the way you were describing your mother as if she can do anything!

1. Yves

I totally agree about Jones using a very detailed wording to describe her journey to school. I also found myself very focused on the details and it’s hard to zone out. I was also intrigued by the “I stare back at her” statement, more like if something was going to happen.

2. Hernandez

I totally agree with Sumayah Ayed, about Jones using his emotions to express himself about the story he shares. I also found myself to love, how Jones writes, the way he expresses as if we were living the moment at the time we’re reading it.

3. Rakib Hassan

I also loved the way Jones detailed each scene in such a vivid manner that I can almost picture everything going on. The way he nit picks at details also helps with my understanding of the text.

4. Eamon Bolger

I really do agree, the imagery is next level compared to some other readers, It made me feel like I was standing right next to her as the story went on.