Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Christina Cantone, Gurba Critique

I really enjoyed the honesty of her words. In her writing she talks about how ignorant people are when it comes to talking about her home country. She has a big personality that really comes alive in her writing. She uses Spanglish throughout her work where so goes from Spanish to English and a mix between. She is really passionate and blunt in her words. She says ā€œRather than face that we are their moral and intellectual equals, they happily pity usā€, she is right that many people are ignorant about her homeland and she has every right to be upset and angered about the stereotypes that are spread here.

1. Yasmine

I agree with Christina that Gurba had a right to be upset and angered because Cummings clearly misrepresented her homeland.

2. Felix Mejia

I agree when you say people often look down at people form other countries like they’re some kind of unintelligent beings. I also agree she had every right to be mad and speak her mind regarding the book. Since the author of the book, Cummings, wanted to represent the Mexican community even though she wrote fiction, she did a poor job at doing so and it adds to the whole situation the fact that Cummings is not Mexican and haven’t lived in Mexico ever which means she is clueless as to what happens in Mexico and how things would really play out.

3. Eamon Bolger

I definitely agree with what you are saying, her writing has a lot of passion and while it is blunt, I feel like that adds charm to her writing and makes it feel completely genuine. I also liked that you bring up her use of Spanglish as it really does help the piece feel very genuine and helped me believe that what she says is a reality

4. Michelle

I agree with what you said about people being very ignorant when they hear or think about a place they are not familiar with. I think that the honesty in her work is actually very refreshing and outstanding.