Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Discussion: Meet My Feet

If we were meeting in person, I’d show you one of my favorite pair of shoes: Red Doc Martens. I love these boots. They’re comfortable for walking and teaching and just look awesome. They’re getting a little ragged and worn–I think I’ve owned this pair for nearly a decade. I know I’ve gone through at least two sets of inserts!

When I was in high school, I wanted a pair of Doc Martens, but couldn’t afford to have a “real” pair. Instead, I bought pairs of knock-off Doc Martens, which are fine and looked basically like the real deal, but I knew in my heartest of hearts that they weren’t the same.

There was a point in my life after I’d been teaching awhile when I realized: “Hey, you’ve got enough money to buy the real thing!” And then I started shopping, which is the most fun about getting new clothes or shoes, in my opinion. At first, I was going to buy the traditional pair (black), but then I saw these red ones, and I decided, if I was going to splurge, I was going to splurge on something that stood out.

1. Carlon richards

I am glad you got to treat yourself to the real ones. I am impressed with the bold move to stand out!

2. sumayah

You’re not the only one who was struggling in buying the dr.Martins lol, nothing is easy in life

3. Eamon Bolger

Your story really got to me! Nothing feels better than working hard toward a goal and finally getting the payoff of that goal, Best feeling in the world!

4. NadreaPT

Aww Professor, I love your story. Nice meeting your favorite pairs of shoes! This shows that if you can’t afford it at a time and if you work hard, you can have all you want and more.