• One of my discourse community has to be with my fellow coworkers. I work as a Cna (certified nursing assistant) and I work in a nursing home. We have kind of built a little group of solidarity between each other where we help each other out at work whenever the job can be tiring and talk to each other about any news that can impact our job or just causal conversations. I would say our “language” would include some medical terms and abbreviations that most people outside of the medical field wouldn’t know. Some of the issues we deal with is being under staffed, physically demanding work, and long hour shifts.
  • Another one would be the group I have with the people on my mosque. We meet to celebrate holidays, meetings, and perform funerals. We speech a mixture of Arabic, Soninke, and English. Our core values align with passages from the Quran and we are also a long standing community so we know each other well. Some are issues are poor funding and trouble getting permits to name a few.
  • My third community would be with my friends and we are alike on the ways we are all students and first generation Americans. We speech english and usually we help each other out with assignments and update each other on important news. Some issues we face is balancing school, work, and social life and stress .