The Process

This project was one of the most interesting from this semester. Taking a 2 dimensional object and making it 3 dimensional using just pencil and paper required precise thinking and understanding. First, we sketched flat shapes from observation like squares, cylinders, and spheres. Then we turned the 2d form into 3d by showing transparent construction. I learned a lot from this step about how these shapes form and the movement of the lines.

Taking the project into Illustrator proved to be even more enjoyable as the shapes became more organic and fluid. Being able to extrude, revolve, and add texture to the form gave it more life and I created many shapes I wouldn’t have thought to draw out. The first composition was experimental and aimless. It was created mostly to test out the program’s capabilities and play around. I was very impressed with everything I could do. The second composition had much more thought put into it. The flow and rhythm of the piece is much better as its easier for the eye to travel through the shapes. I created an abstract assembly line using organic and geometric forms combined. Repetition, scale, and movement were all used in this piece. The viewer is able to follow the green pill shaped forms throughout.

The last phase of the project was to take those forms in the second composition and draw them out on paper. I was able to bring out depth in the flat planes by repeating the square plane and tilting it back. Through that, I was able to get circular shapes and show the transparent form. Overall, this project taught me a lot about form and space and how I can improve my skills by sketching from observation. The different stages of learning methods really helped solidify my knowledge on this subject.