Before doing this project, we read Ellen Lupton’s chapter on texture, I was able to understand more about it and to discover, define, and visualize the importance of Texture and Value for all areas of design. First, I took pictures of my house and objects around.
Using the photos we took based on visual textures and a gradation of values from light to dark, we have to make a Collage using Adobe Photoshop. Pictures in the gallery are some of the objects of my laptop, speaker, Xbox, telescope, and refrigerator.
Then, I created two sheets of texture, one using the rubbing technique on tracing paper and the other hand-drawn on sketch paper. Making the rubbings was eye-opening as I had to look around me for things that had texture.
At first, I thought the hand-drawn textures would be easy to texture hand drawings but were challenging, but I noticed that the surface started to appear after laying patterns down. This project was fun. I learned more about the visual functions of value in conjunction with texture. I was able to play around with the objects and show more creativity with fewer parameters.