The Process

This project began with free play pages using circles, squares and triangles separately. I used curves and arcs on the circle page, horizontal and vertical lines on the square page, and diagonal lines on the triangle page. Playing around with gradation, line thickness, and repetition helped me later create thumbnail sketches. It was a bit difficult to stay within the parameters of the project and not use other line types but it made me think out of the box.

The thumbnail sketches were the next part of the project, allowing me to refine my ideas more. The smaller icons helped me with more technical elements of the project like placement of shapes and lines that created a pleasing end result. Using the pen created more concrete ideas and gave me more definitive contrast and negative space. When creating the variations, I was able to explore more with the concept word and ended up liking some variations over the original. If I had never done those, I wouldn’t have known I would have liked another version of ‘thin’ and ‘intensity’ better.

The final piece was done very slowly and surely and I made some changes to line variation from the refined thumbnail sketches. The gradation of line thickness and size in ‘intensity’ help push the idea and the bolder lines give more of a feeling of power. ‘Sharp’ was created using thin long triangles that seem to be closing in on each other but never quite touching, almost as if they were attacking each other. They all point to a horizon line as if they’re all trying to reach the same place. The lines in ‘thin’ were very carefully inked as the uniformity of the piece helped push the thinness. Scaling up this design to the 4×4 was more difficult than the others and I decided to not add more lines as I think it would’ve looked too crowded and wouldn’t have given the impression of fragility. ‘Soft’ was created with rippling sand or water in mind, whereas a wave would’ve gone under power. The piece starts at a singular point and showcases the movement of soft ripples of sand or water. All in all, I am happy with my four final pieces and this project really helped push my designing ability to improve.