- Architectural Design 1 Model, by Butte County Office of Education, Open course, CTE Online (2013).
“Architectural and Structural Engineering provides learning opportunities for students interested in preparing for careers in such areas as architecture, industrial design, and civil engineering. This introduction course provides students with foundational concepts, skills, and content knowledge required for pursuing career pathways within this industry sector.”
- AutoCAD 2D eBook by Wally Baumback (2021). License: CC BY.
“The AutoCAD 2D eBook was written as a tool to guide and teach you to master AutoCAD. No two students learn at the same pace, therefore the eBook was written with competency-based modules. The competency-based modules are bite-size pieces that allows you to work at your own pace. They can be used to learn by distance education, correspondence, online, instructor-lead classes, or by individuals teaching themselves to use AutoCAD in their own home or office. This eBook was designed to be used on AutoCAD software that was designed for the Windows operating system. An editable, Pressbooks version of this textbook is under development.”
- AutoCAD 3D eBook, by Wally Baumback, Vancouver Community College (2021). License: CC BY.
“The AutoCAD 3D eBook was written as a tool to guide and teach you to master AutoCAD. No two students learn at the same pace, therefore the eBooks were written with competency-based modules. The competency-based modules are bite-size pieces that allows you to work at your own pace. They can be used to learn by distance education, correspondence, online, instructor-lead classes, or by individuals teaching themselves to use AutoCAD in their own home or office. This eBook was designed to be used on AutoCAD software that was designed for the Windows operating system. An editable, Pressbooks version of this textbook is under development.”
- History of Architecture, 7th Edition, by Alfred Hamin, E-book, Project Gutenberg (2008).
This book provides broad strokes of the various periods and styles of architecture, including the most important works from each.
- Interpretation of Metal Fab Drawings by Cameren Moran (2021). License: CC BY.
“Interpreting metal fab drawings is a course that introduces the principles of interpretation and application of industrial fabrication drawings. Basic principles and techniques of metal fabrication are introduced by planning and construction of fixtures used in fabrication from drawings. Basic tools and equipment for layout fitting of welded fabrications are utilized. Covers the use and application of the AWS welding symbols. This course will utilize blueprints and welding symbols and will apply them in classroom and in shop as practical assignments.”
- The NYC Subway, by New York Interborough Rapid Transit Company, E-book, Project Gutenberg (1904/2006).
- Roman Architecture, by Diana E. E. Kleiner, Open course, Open Yale Courses (2009).
“This course is an introduction to the great buildings and engineering marvels of Rome and its empire, with an emphasis on urban planning and individual monuments and their decoration, including mural painting. While architectural developments in Rome, Pompeii, and Central Italy are highlighted, the course also provides a survey of sites and structures in what are now North Italy, Sicily, France, Spain, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, and North Africa.”
- Structural Mechanics, by Tomasz Wierzbicki, MIT Open Courseworks (2020). License: CC BY-NC-SA
“This text covers the fundamental concepts of structural mechanics with applications to marine, civil, and mechanical structures. Topics include analysis of small deflections of beams, moderately large deflections of beams, columns, cables, and shafts; elastic and plastic buckling of columns, thin walled sections and plates; exact and approximate methods; energy methods; principle of virtual work; introduction to failure analysis of structures. We will include examples from civil, mechanical, offshore, and ship structures such as the collision and grounding of ships.”
- Tutorials of Visual Graphic Communication Programs for Interior Design, by Yongyeon Cho, Iowa State University (2021).
“This book is for the beginning level of both architecture and interior design students who learn computer graphic communication software. The author developed multiple tutorials to teach three computer graphic applications, AutoCAD, Revit, and Enscape. AutoCAD is an essential computer drafting software which is 2D drawing software. Revit is a Building Information Modeling software, which is 3D based modeling software. Lastly, Enscape is a real-time rendering, animation, and virtual reality plug-in for users’ 4D experiences.”
- The Art of Serious Game Design, by Digital Education Strategies, The Chang School of Continuing Education, E-book, Ryerson University.
- The Art & Practice of Typography A Manual of American Printing, Including a Brief History up to the Twentieth Century, with Reproductions of the Work of Early Masters of the Craft, and a Practical Discussion and an Extensive Demonstration of the Modern Use of Type-faces and Methods of Arrangement (English), by Edmund G. Gress, E-book, Project Gutenberg (1917/2017).
- Digital Foundations: Introduction to Media Design with the Adobe Creative Cloud – Revised Edition, by xtine burrough and Michael Mandiberg, E-book, Open Oregon Educational Resources (2017).
“Digital Foundations uses formal exercises of the Bauhaus to teach the Adobe Creative Suite. All students of digital design and production—whether learning in a classroom or on their own—need to understand the basic principles of design in order to implement them using current software. Far too often design is left out of books that teach software for the trade and academic markets. Consequently, the design software training exercise is often a lost opportunity for visual learning. This revised edition updates the original text for use with Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 software.”
- Graphic Design and Print Production Fundamentals, by Graphic Communications Open Textbook Collective, British Columbia Institute of Technology, E-book, BC Campus (2019).
- Introduction to Photography and Related Media, by Reilly Rabitaille and Andrea Frank, Open course, MIT OpenCourseware (2007).
- Understanding Media and Culture: An Introduction to Mass Communication, University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing (2016).
“According to the author, the world did not need another introductory text in mass communication. But the world did need another kind of introductory text in mass communication, and that is how Understanding Media and Culture: An Introduction to Mass Communication was birthed.”
Computer Engineering Technology
- Advanced Mobile Robotics: Volume 1, by DaeEun Kim, E-book, MDPI – Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (2020).
- Computer-Aided Design, by Gary Benenson, Open syllabus, CUNY Academic Works (2018).
- Computer Networks: A Systems Approach, by Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie, E-book, Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie (2019).
- Digital Circuit Projects: An Overview of Digital Circuits Through Implementing Integrated Circuits, by Charles Kann, E-book, Gettysburg College (2014).
“Digital circuits, often called Integrated Circuits or ICs, are the central building blocks of a Central Processing Unit (CPU). To understand how a computer works, it is essential to understand the digital circuits which make up the CPU. This text introduces the most important of these digital circuits; adders, decoders, multiplexers, D flip-flops, and simple state machines.”
- A First Course in Electrical and Computer Engineering, by Louis Scharf, E-textbook, OpenStax CNX (2009).
“This book was written for an experimental freshman course at the University of Colorado. The course is now an elective that the majority of our electrical and computer engineering students take in the second semester of their freshman year, just before their first circuits course.”
Computer Systems Technology
- Algoritmiek, by M. de Weerdt, Open course, Delft University of Technology (2011).
- Computer Networks: A Systems Approach, by Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie, E-book, Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie (2019).
“Suppose you want to build a computer network, one that has the potential to grow to global proportions and to support applications as diverse as teleconferencing, video on demand, electronic commerce, distributed computing, and digital libraries. What available technologies would serve as the underlying building blocks, and what kind of software architecture would you design to integrate these building blocks into an effective communication service? Answering this question is the overriding goal of this book—to describe the available building materials and then to show how they can be used to construct a network from the ground up.”
- Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity, by CyberWatch West, E-book, Whatcom Community College.
- Database Design – 2nd Edition, by Adrienne Watt, E-book, BCcampus (2014).
“This second edition of Database Design book covers the concepts used in database systems and the database design process.”
- Delftse Foundations of Computation, by Stefan Hugtenburg and Neil Yorke-Smith, E-book, TU Delft Open (2018).
“Delftse Foundations of Computation is a textbook for a one quarter introductory course in theoretical computer science. It includes topics from propositional and predicate logic, proof techniques, set theory and the theory of computation, along with practical applications to computer science. It has no prerequisites other than a general familiarity with computer programming.”
- Making Games with Python & Pygame, by Al Sweigart, E-book, Independent (2012).
“This book will teach you how to make graphical computer games in the Python programming language using the Pygame library.This book assumes you know a little bit about Python or programming in general.”
- Programming Languages: Application and Interpretation, by Shriram Krishnamurthi, E-book, Brown University (2007).
“Unlike some other textbooks, this one does not follow a top-down narrative. Rather it has the flow of a conversation, with backtracking. We will often build up programs incrementally, just as a pair of programmers would. We will include mistakes, not because I don’t know the answer, but because this is the best way for you to learn. Including mistakes makes it impossible for you to read passively: you must instead engage with the material, because you can never be sure of the veracity of what you’re reading.”
- Web Accessibility for Developers, by Digital Education Strategies, The Chang School, E-book, Independent (2019).
“Web Accessibility for Developers is a technical book aimed primarily at programmers. Learn how to develop accessible interactivity on the Web and gain expertise using WAI-ARIA, a W3C specification that enables optimal use of assistive technologies, like screen readers, when navigating the Web.”
Construction Management Technology
- Applied Fluid Mechanics Lab Manual, by Habib Ahmari, Shah Md Imran Kabir, Ginny Bowers, E-book, Mavs Open Press (2019).
“This lab manual provides students with the theory, practical applications, objectives, and laboratory procedure of ten experiments. The manual also includes educational videos showing how student should run each experiment and a workbook for organizing data collected in the lab and preparing result tables and charts.”
- Basics of Fluid Mechanics, by Genick Bar-Meir, E-book, Potto Project (2014).
“The topic of fluid mechanics is common to several disciplines: mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, and civil engineering. In fact, it is also related to disciplines like industrial engineering, and electrical engineering. While the emphasis is somewhat different in this book, the common material is presented and hopefully can be used by all. One can only admire the wonderful advances done by the previous geniuses who work in this field. In this book it is hoped to insert, what and when a certain model is suitable than other models.”
- Construction Financial Management: Solutions, by S. L. Tang, E-book, Bookboon (2015).
- Fundamentals of Construction Management, by Abimbola Olukemi Windapo, E-book, Bookboon (2020).
- Fundamentals of Infrastructure Management, by Donald Coffelt and Chris Hendrickson, E-book, Donald Coffelt and Chris Hendrickson (2017).
- Land Use, by Turner, E-book, CALI’s eLangdell® Press (2014).
“This text explores the laws governing the use of land. Sometimes narrowly focused, often intensely local, land use regulation may give the impression of a highly specialized field with small stakes.”
- Project Management for Construction: Fundamental Concepts for Owners, Engineers, Architects and Builders, by Chris Hendrickson, E-book, Carnegie Mellon University (2008).
Electrical Engineering & Telecommunications Technologies
- AC Electrical Circuit Analysis: A Practical Approach, by James M. Fiore, E-book, dissidents (2020).
“The goal of this text is to introduce the theory and practical application of analysis of AC electrical circuits. It assumes familiarity with DC circuit analysis.”
- Cyclopedia of Telephony and Telegraphy, Vol. 1 A General Reference Work on Telephony, etc. etc. (English), by Kempster Miller, George Patterson, Charles Thom, Robert Millikan, and Samuel McMeen, E-book, Project Gutenberg (2005).
- Data Communication Networks, by Dimitri Bertsekan and Eytan Modiano, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2002).
- DC Electrical Circuit Analysis: A Practical Approach, by James M. Fiore, E-book, dissidents (2020).
- “The goal of this text is to introduce the theory and practical application of analysis of DC electrical circuits.”
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering I, by Don Johnson, E-book, OpenStax CNX (2014).
“The course focuses on the creation, manipulation, transmission, and reception of information by electronic means. Elementary signal theory; time- and frequency-domain analysis; Sampling Theorem. Digital information theory; digital transmission of analog signals; error-correcting codes.”
- Telecommunications Regulation Handbook : Tenth Anniversary Edition, by Colin Blackman and Lara Srivastava, E-book, Open Knowledge Repository (2011).
- Digital Video Production, by Jonathan Fallen, Open module, OpenStax CNX (2010).
- Interactive and Non-Linear Narrative: Theory and Practice, by Beth Coleman,Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2006).
- Interactive Multimedia – Multimedia Production and Digital Storytelling, by Dragan Cvetković, E-book, IntechOpen (2019).
- An Introduction to Technical Theatre, by Tal Sanders, E-book, Independent (2018).
“An Introduction to Technical Theatre draws on the author’s experience in both the theatre and the classroom over the last 30 years. Intended as a resource for both secondary and post-secondary theatre courses, this text provides a comprehensive overview of technical theatre, including terminology and general practices.”
- Music and Technology: Sound Design, by Florian Hollerweger, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2016).
- Tools for Podcasting, by Jill Olmsted, E-book, American University (2019).
“If you’re interested in learning about the growing universe of podcasting, how it works and finding tools and inspiration to create your own podcast, this online resource is for you. My focus is on audio podcasting and this practical guide will help you navigate the technology and best practices in an easy-to-understand handbook.”
Environmental Control Technology
- Building Maintenance & Construction: Tools and Maintenance Tasks, by Clifford Rutherford, E-book, University of Hawaii Manoa (2018).
“Building Maintenance & Construction: Tools and Maintenance Tasks introduces and develops knowledge of basic building maintenance tools and materials, applied skills and techniques, industry health and safety standards, and preventive maintenance and troubleshooting practices required by employers for entry-level positions in the building trades and facilities maintenance fields.”
- Ethical Dimensions of Renewable Energy and Sustainability Systems (BIOET 533), by Erich W. Schienke, Penn State University – College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, Open course, OPEN.ED @PSU.
- HVAC System, by Mohsen Sheikholeslami Kandelousi, E-book, IntechOpen (2018).
“In this book, various aspects of heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems are investigated. HVAC systems are milestones of building mechanical systems that provide thermal comfort for occupants accompanied with indoor air quality.”
- Refrigeration, by Orhan Ekren, E-book, IntechOpen (2017).
- Sustainable Air Conditioning Systems, by Chaouki Ghenai, E-book, IntechOpen (2018).
Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Design and Manufacturing I, by Daniel Frey and David Gossard, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2009).
- The Draughtsman’s Handbook of Plan and Map Drawing Including instructions for the preparation of engineering, architectural, and mechanical drawings. (English), by George G.André, E-book, Project Gutenberg (1874/2018).
- Engineering Dynamics, by J. Kim Vandive and David Gossard, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare.
- Industrial Design Intelligence: A Cognitive Approach to Engineering, by Ted Selker, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2003).
- Introduction to Industrial Engineering, by Bonnie Boardman, E-book, Mavs Open Press (2020).
- Mechanics & Materials I, by Carol Livermore, Open course, MIT OpenCourseWare (2006).