ENG2201 Spring 2023

Week 4: The Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar and Alice Dunbar

PLEASE NOTE: In April, we will be reading Freshwater by author and journalist, Akwaeke Emezi.

Here is her biography:  Akwaeke Emezi .

To obtain a copy of this book, please fill out the following form so that a copy can be mailed to your address (on the form you can also arrange to pick the book up in my office in Namm 503).Ā 

Book Mailing Request Form for Online Students

Emezi will be our featured speaker at this yearā€™s Literary Arts Festival on April 27, 2023 (in our new theatre), which I hope you can attend.

The Festival includes the 2023 Literary Arts Festival Writing Competition, which is now open for submissions!  Students may submit their work on the City Tech Literary Arts Festival OpenLab website:
https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/literaryartsfestival/submission-guidelines/

All creative work is welcome and must be submitted by March 20, 2023.

—————————————————————————————————–

POST DUE: Thursday, FEB. 23

Hi Students:

Thank you for your incisive discussions of the first half of Mark Twainā€™s Huckleberry Finn.  As you made clear, this work is resoundingly ā€œrealistā€ that tells the hard story of a young boy, grappling (as Linnette and Ceci tell us) with his conscience.  He wants to do the right thing (be civilized, learn manners, and get an education) but something keeps gnawing at him.  He feels, as John writes, imprisoned both by the abuse of his father and the immorality of the household he lives in.  Aunt Polly and Aunt Sally are owners of Jim, an enslaved man.  Like Huck, Jim, by chapter 8, will also make his escape.

At the moral center of this work is the decision Huck makes when he finds Jim hiding in the woods just like him. As Aisha writes, ā€œHuck faces a difficult decision to break the law and violate his moral code, but he ultimately chooses to do the right thing and take a risk to help his friend.ā€

Mark Twain, as a realist writer, wanted to confront one of the central issues of the post-Civil War Era (or The Reconstruction Era, 1865-1900). The Reconstruction amendments, as you recall, were supposed to provide equality for ALL Americans ā€“ but the reverse seemed to have taken place.

One of the loudest voices to speak up against the new Jim Crow (anti-black) laws in the South and on-going racism in the North was the African American author and professor, W.E.B Dubois.  In his highly regarded essay, ā€œThe Spiritual Strivings of the Negro People,ā€ published in the Atlantic Monthly in 1897, Dubois writes about how ā€œit feels to be perceived as a problemā€ and the resulting ā€œdouble-consciousnessā€ this causes.

Watch this video based on his essay HERE.    Here is the full essay.

Just yesterday, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Professor at Harvard, wrote a similarly inspired essay in the New York Times about the controversy on teaching African American history in schools, and why itā€™s so important to fully learn about the many, many powerful voices and varied works (and opinions) by African American writers, artists, and leaders in the last 175 years.

Read: ā€œWhoā€™s Afraid of African American Historyā€

Another contemporary powerhouse who is speaking out on this topic is Columbia Law Professor Kimberly Crenshaw, one of the originators of Critical Race Theory. She also coined the important word ā€œintersectionalityā€ (a term which is also now facing criticism).

Read: ā€œChanges to AP African American Studies a Shameā€

As she explains in the article, ā€œintersectionalityā€ is a way of understanding humans from many vantage points, not just as stereotyped, uniform entities.  We especially need to ā€œexpand our understanding of Black reality to include the way patriarchy, homophobia, and class shapes our reality,  so we can better transform it [and make] connections with other movements and other people.ā€ 

In light of the brilliant insights of Du Bois, Gates, and Crenshaw, this week letā€™s explore two more exceptional African American poets and authors: Paul Laurence Dunbar and his equally gifted wife, Alice.

Paul Dunbar’s two most famous poems are ā€œWe Wear the Maskā€ (about African American double-consciousness) and ā€œSympathyā€ (about what it feels like to be imprisoned in your own country), both written in the 1890s. As you read each poem, consider the symbolic meaning of ā€œwearing a maskā€ and/or being a ā€œbird in a cage.ā€  Think about how Dunbarā€™s rich language (and artistic use of rhythm and rhyme) conveys his deep feelings as well as the connection of these poems to points raised by Dubois and Gates.

Next, read the biographies of  Paul Laurence Dunbar and Alice Moore Dunbar.

Scroll down and choose one poem (either by Paul or Alice) to discuss.  CHOOSE A POEM ANOTHER STUDENT HAS NOT CHOSEN, OR ADD ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY TO ANOTHER STUDENT’S POST. Try to also make a connection to their biography or to a point made by DuBois, Gates, and/or Crenshaw.

I look forward to your explication and discussion of the poem you choose.

POST DUE: Thursday, Feb. 23.

1. anthony pietromonico

Poem Invitation to Love

The biography describes the life and literary career of Paul Laurence Dunbar, one of the first influential Black poets in American literature. Dunbar was born in 1872 in Ohio to formerly enslaved parents from Kentucky. Although he aspired to be a lawyer, financial constraints prevented him from attending university, and he began working as an elevator operator while pursuing his writing. Dunbar gained national recognition after James Whitcomb Riley and other writers praised his work, and he published several collections of poems and other writings, including Majors and Minors (1895) and Lyrics of Lowly Life (1896). His dialect poems were particularly popular and were seen as an accurate representation of Black speech. Dunbar’s literary body is regarded as an impressive representation of Black life in turn-of-the-century America. Despite his success, Dunbar faced financial difficulties and health problems throughout his life. He died in 1906 at the age of 33.And after reading the poem Invitation to Love there a big action between the two texts. The poem “Come when the nights are bright with stars” describes the speaker’s unconditional acceptance of their beloved, inviting them to come at any time, regardless of the season or the state of the speaker’s heart. Similarly, the earlier text speaks of love as a force that transcends language and culture, and that should be welcomed and celebrated in all its forms. Both texts express the idea that love is a powerful force that can bring comfort and joy, even in difficult times, and that it should be embraced and cherished whenever it appears.

2. Raynel Fabre

“We Wear The Mask”

Paul Laurence’s biography shows how he was born during slavery and was one of the most influential when it came to poems and explained how you had to have your mouth shut and couldn’t speak his own opinions and “wear the mask” because you could get killed. The poem “We wear the mask” mostly speaks of all people because of the word “we” and he specifies more on the black Americans that suffered through what he did as putting on the mask. Paul was always asking himself and all people why should they make the effort of working hard and doing things for themselves if, at the end of the day, you going to hold the mask and maintain it on to not hold the consequences.

• Jamil

Raynel,

Wow, we picked the same one! lol. This poem is straight to the point right? I’m thinking that’s probably why it caught your attention immediately.

I think you’re absolutely right, back then, many Black folks and other People of Color had to yield to racist norms in order to avoid White violence. So yea, they had to keep their mouth shut. Thankfully, some didn’t and because of that we enjoy the freedoms that we do now.

-Jamil

• Account Deleted

I think this poem has a very deep connection to our now a day world so I choose to analysis this poem as well. “We Wear the Mask” which is written by Paul Laurence Dunbar in 1895. “We Wear the Mask” is a reaction to the experience of being black in America in the late 19th century, following the Civil Warā€”a period when life seemed to have improved for black Americans yet in reality was still marked by intense racism and hardship. Dunbar compares surviving the pain of oppression to wearing a mask that hides the suffering of humans wearer while presenting a more joyful face to the world. The poem itself does not specifically mention race, but its message is applicable to any circumstance in which marginalized people are forced to present a brave face in order to survive in an unsympathetic, prejudiced society.

3. Jamil

Of all the beautiful poems written by Paul Laurence Dunbar, the one that really resonated with me below his Bio was entitled, We Wear The Mask. It is a rondeau that he wrote back in 1895 and is actually considered one of his more famous poems. I couldnā€™t help but notice itā€™s tonal similarity to an essay written two years later called, Strivings of The Negro People by W.E.B Dubois. In it, Dubois talks about feeling alienated and ostracized by White people in White spaces. He shares in such profound and cutting language what White microaggressions feel like and how Black people react and receive them in different ways. It was really ahead of its time. In retrospect, it really serves to highlight how much racism still hasnā€™t changedā€” even over 120 years later. There tends to be this commonly shared myth in society that in order to be racist, one has to blatantly use derogatory racial epithets against someone and make it overtly obvious. This simply isnā€™t true. Most racism including microaggressions are typically much more subtle and harder to recognize by the untrained individual. One of the ways Black people attempt to cope with this subtle racist behavior is by wearing a ā€˜maskā€™ in the form of a fawning response. Dubois describes it as, ā€œshrinking into tasteless sycophancyā€ and being ā€œa co-worker in the kingdom of cultureā€ which I think is genius. I think this is the sort of proverbial mask that Paul Dunbar is talking about in his poem. At the beginning of the poem, Dunbar says, ā€œWe wear the mask that grins and lies, It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes.ā€ Although I’ve mostly shed my mask at this point, this is still exactly how I feel as a Black man in society most of the time. Itā€™s almost impossible to be unapologetically Black without it being perceived as criminal. Dunbar, like Dubois, points out that weā€™re being forced to buck-dance, smile, laugh and otherwise be grateful for the dehumanizing situation we find ourselves in. Itā€™s really nice to see the brilliant consciousness of these two as they elucidate an experience that is much too difficult to understand if you arenā€™t walking in those shoes.

• Mark Noonan

Thank you for this insightful post, Jamil, that expertly connects “We Wear the Mask” to points raised by the equally great W.E.B.Dubois.

4. Michael Paige

Like my classmates, Paul Laurence Dunbar’s We Wear The Mask struck immediately with me as well. In following the professor’s directives however, i said to myself , they beat me to it , let me find another one! The second poem i read The Paradox sparked just as much as many of the feelings stayed consistent. In The Paradox, Dunbar describes all the roles he has undertaken at various points and it immediately correlated to my journey in life but even more specifically, my journey in fatherhood! It made me reflect on a day when i had several obligations to fulfill and the irony was in how many times I had to change clothes. In a span of 24 hours i had to become the educator/mentor , then the overnight security/bouncer , followed by the Sunday school teacher and culminating in the party clown entertainment at a party! My life , much like that day , needless to say is exhausting!

What struck the most when reading Mr. Dunbar’s bio was the culmination of Mr. Dunbar’s life was at the young age of 33. After reading paragraph after paragraph of his accomplishments , his setbacks, and his journeys a blow was dealt as i realized i was reading the details of someone’s life who hadn’t even made it as far as i have as far as age. Guilt presumed as i began to wonder if i was making use of the years I had been given and comparatively accomplishing such feats! I often wonder if my ability to “change clothes” is an accomplishment or a setback hindering me from my true purpose.

• Eleonora Inoyatova

• Mark Noonan

Thanks for picking such an interesting poem to discuss Michael. I myself hadn’t read it before. I really like how you connect Dunbar’s poem to your own wearing of many hats. You remind me of an interesting biographical detail of Dunbar. He was literally discovered by William Dean Howells (the Dean of Letters at the time) while working as an elevator hop. Great post.

5. Nim Tse

The Debt by Paul Laurence Dunbar

The poem that I decided to discuss is ā€œThe Debtā€ by Paul Laurence Dunbar. One of the reasons that I like the poem is the short yet effective message that it allowed me to understand. This poemā€™s tone is melancholy as the words regret, grief, and sorrow are mentioned. An interesting component of the poem was that Dunbar did not necessarily describe what type of debt he owed. Is it money or something else? The second part of the poem has the words ā€œreleaseā€ and ā€œpeace,ā€ which represent the opposite of melancholy and that there would be an acknowledgment of debt and how repaying it is necessary. There is a contrast in the last line regarding interest and the tone sounds of disgust. While it is not explicitly stated what type of debt is presented, it most likely would not be money. The biography does not suggest Dunbar is in poverty, as the community recognizes his work of literature with success. Instead, he might be talking about the mistakes he had made in life and that there are consequences for these mistakes. In the biography, he and his wife had a divorce, combined with poor health and alcoholism. The events may signify his failure to balance family and his writing work.

• Mark Noonan

Nim,

I like how you picked this relatively unknown poem and clarify the meaning of “debt” to go well beyond financial considerations in the work. Your connection of the work to Dunbar’s challenging life is equally interesting.

6. Argelia Treadwell

Paul Dunbar was a nationally recognized poet. He was born in 1872 to parents who had been enslaved in Kentucky. His Poem ā€œWe wear the Maskā€ is a commentary on life for black individuals in the nineteenth century. It was assumed that life was significantly better after slavery was abolished, but in reality, black individuals suffered from constant systematic racism and violence. ā€œ We wear the Maskā€ is as relevant now as it was when it was publish because racial bias and systematic racism is an ongoing problem. ā€œWe wear the Maskā€ speaks about the experience of an oppressed group. Itā€™s a way for people to ā€œmaskā€ their true feelings while presenting a happy face to the world. They have two identities there true self, which is hidden behind the mask, and the self they present to the outside world where they have to deal with a prejudiced society. 

7. aisha choudhry

The poem “We Wear the Mask” by Paul Laurence Dunbar is a powerful exploration of the ways in which people hide their true feelings and identities in order to present a more socially acceptable version of themselves to the world. Dunbar describes the mask as a symbol of the pain, suffering, and oppression experienced by African Americans in the late 19th century, and suggests that the use of masks is a necessary coping mechanism for survival in a society that is often hostile to their existence. Through the use of metaphors and personification, the poet encourages readers to recognize the pain and struggle that lies behind the masks that people wear, and to strive for greater empathy and understanding in their interactions with others.

• Gundo Sillah

“Life’s Tragedy” By Paul Laurence Dunbar

I choose this poem because I thought it was very fascinating and liked how it explored the famous quote by Alfred Lord Tennyson, “tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” And the way Dunar put it was that although it may be sad to not have experienced pure joy whether it’s from a song or perfect love it is much worst to be so close to achieving the joy and losing it. From being so near to what contents the heart and getting a taste but having it slip away and never being able to achieve it. My favorite line was, “For if we mortals love, or if we sing. We count our joys not by what we have. But by what kept from that perfect thing.” After reading his biography it spoke to why he held that kind of position. Dunbar had suffered through lots of health issues and many periods of time where he was put on bed rest, and in order to cope with the chronic coughing he drank copiously. This could have been one of the factors that pushed him and his wife at the time Alice to separate and have issues. This emotional and physical turmoil had been reflected in his work at the time, with common themes of alcoholism and marital issues, especially in his final novel “The Sport of the Gods”. The novel centered around a black butler who had been falsely accused of theft and while jailed his son turned to alcohol and crime, his daughter to an exotic dancer, and his wife married another man who became abusive. But the unlike his own life, in the novel the protagonist was able to receive a happy resolution and was sent free and able to be reunited with his family and sort out their disarray.

• Mark Noonan

Very thoughtful and thorough reply Gundo on this relatively little known poem and his one novel (a fun read by the way). I particularly liked your choice of quote and handling of it.

ā€œFor if we mortals love, or if we sing. We count our joys not by what we have. But by what kept from that perfect thing.

Nicely done.

8. TASNEIM

The poem that caught my attention right away was “we wear a mask” It made the main idea clear. had a brief explanation. It basically talks about how he basically couldn’t speak up about anything, not one person in general but it was talking about slaves. They had to put on this happy face for the public, but they “masked” their true emotions through the pain they had to go through. So behind the mask, they were struggling and going through pain but had to “mask” and pretend they were okay or happy. They couldn’t be their true selves anywhere; it’s like they felt trapped underneath the mask.

9. Lubna Mojumder

The poem “The Debt” by Paul Laurence Dunbar is the one I’ve chosen to talk about. The poem’s succinct yet impactful message is one of the things that make it appealing to me. The tone of this poem is depressing since it uses terms like regret, anguish, and sorrow. Dunbar did not always specify the kind of debt he owed, which was an intriguing aspect of the poem. Or is it something else, like money? The terms “release” and “peace,” which stand for the antithesis of sadness and suggest that debt would be acknowledged and how it would be repaid, appear in the second section of the poem. The last phrase contrasts in terms of intrigue and the tone sounds disgusting. Since the sort of debt mentioned is not specified, it is most likely not a financial one. The biography refutes the idea that Dunbar lives in abject poverty since his literary accomplishments are well-liked in the neighborhood. Alternatively, he may be discussing the errors he has made in life and how these mistakes have repercussions. According to the book, he and his wife divorced and he also struggled with drinking and ill health. The incidents could represent his inability to strike a balance between his literary career and his family.

10. Linnette

We Wear the Mask” is a powerful and moving poem that highlights the struggles and injustices faced by many people in society, and the ways in which they conceal their true feelings and emotions in order to survive. The poem goes on to describe how these masks are worn by everyone, regardless of race, class, or background. The masks are used to hide not only personal pain but also societal injustices and discrimination. The speaker suggests that the act of wearing a mask is a necessary survival strategy for people who face oppression and discrimination. Du Bois wrote extensively about the experience of being black in America, particularly their struggle for equality and freedom in the face of systemic racism and discrimination. Like Dunbar, he believed that black individuals often had to wear a mask or facade in order to survive in a society that oppressed them.

11. Wilson Wong

The poem Sympathy gives off of the poet feeling trapped inside his workspace. The poet is only doing this because he must make a living and many places do not accept those of a different race. In the line ā€œwhen he beats his bars and he would be freeā€, itā€™s about persevering in a climate that is unfair to get what you want. It might be boring to get stuck in a country that is unusual to you, but it can be rewarding. In Duboisā€™s autobiography, he mentions being ostracized from his home to a point other black boys distance themselves from him due to his color. Dubois must had been in a European dominated neighborhood most of his early life. He wanted to get along with those who partially look like him, but it was the 1870s which was a difficult time to be mixed race with either White or Black. Point is being someone of different complexion in an unfamiliar location is a test to see if they can adapt to where they are. Dubois and Dunbar were men who just wanted a normal life in a location where they were born in, except they had to work harder to make the adjustment(s) to live there. Unless they are White, then harder work is not necessary.

• Mark Noonan

Excellent reading of this powerful poem, Wilson.

12. Sharnay Campbell-Anekie

The poem I focused on was Sympathy by Paul Laurence Dunbar, this poem, how it feels to be a Black man in America and compares himself to a caged bird. He expresses the anger that he shares with the bird due to its lack of freedom and relates it to the life of African Americans at the time, even though America is referred to as the ā€œland of the freeā€ African Americans werenā€™t able to get the same opportunity that white Americans had. I linked this to the Henry Louis Gates article which talks about America not teaching black history to the lengths they should and I linked them because they both show the selectiveness in America and how they pick and choose especially when it comes to race.

13. Olga Almanzar

We wear the Mask struck a chord with many of us since it is something that many of us feel as we experienced at a certain period in our lives. Those who hide their genuine sentiments and emotions from others behind a “mask” are discussed in Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poem We Wear the Mask. He makes reference to the smiley face that individuals believe is necessary to hide their true emotions from others in the poem. The theme of this poem is pretending to be someone you’re not in order to fit in and avoid judgment from others, and some individuals don’t think they do a good job at it. Paul Laurence wrote this poem during the late 1800’s when African Americans endured great injustice and discrimination. This poem illustrates how he attempted to conceal his feelings in the face of everything that was going on.

14. John Michael Vestal

A poem that really spoke to me was The Idler by Alice Dunbar. In this poem she talks about an idle lingerer. He doesn’t do really anything and his only goal is to be happy as he doesn’t do anything. She talks about how even if the world regards him as lazy or slow, he doesn’t mind and continues to dream of nothing. I think the last few lines are the killer part, where she turns the poem on the reader, saying that we might pity the idler. Even if we do, is our life any better when we too will die and become nothing? I really like this poem because I often think about what truly gives life meaning, and I’ve often come to the conclusion that one’s own happiness and the happiness of others are really the only things that matter in the world. Dunbar talks about how even though the Idler does nothing, has no ambitions, has nothing in the world, at least he is happy.