The Interview Process

The person I work closest with is Juan Felix. He is one of the two graphic designers at Captiv8. Juan is a great mentor and he came highly recommended to me by my Internship Professor. In fact, I found about this internship opportunity through my Internship professor. Before that, I had never even heard of Captiv8 Promotions.

Once I received the information for Captiv8, I contacted Juan as soon as I got home. I received a response the very next day. Juan and I emailed each other back and forth. He asked me several questions such as why I like doing what I do, how did I get started in it, what programs do I use most and what is something I really enjoy about designing. After answering all of his questions in detail. Juan invited me to Captiv8 for an interview with him and Mike, the other designer there, on Thursday, September 8 at 2:00 P.M.

I was super early for my interview. Aside from the fact that it’s proper etiquette to show up for an interview a little early, and that I had a good feeling about this place, I am always annoyingly early … to everywhere. Thankfully Captiv8 is located in midtown next to the garment district. I went in and out of stores to kill a little time. I arrived for my interview at 1:40 p.m. (early, but not annoyingly early). After asking for Juan, some of the sales girls sent me into the large, glass conference room. I barely waited for two minutes before Juan came in and warmly introduced himself.

The interview process was not long at all; I was out of there by 2 o’ clock which was the time I was supposed to be there for!

Juan explained how things worked, what they do there at Captiv8, the environment, and most importantly, my duties. I only had one question for him – would I be working with anyone and if so, how closely? I asked this because at my previous internship during the summer, I did not work with anyone and was left to everything on my own. Juan assured me that I would not be working alone, I’d be answering to him, working closely with him and Michael and that if I ever didn’t know how to do anything or had any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Michael didn’t end up showing up for the interview until it was almost over but like Juan, he assured me that I’d be in good hands.

I was offered the job on the spot. I told both Juan and Mike that I would love to, I just had to get the approval from my professor. Once I received the okay, I emailed Juan and told him that I officially accept. I started my internship at Captiv8 Promotions four days later.