Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section D030

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Ishvar Harrichand

I would use Illustrator to create a logo than Photoshop. What I like about Illustrator is that you can resize your work without losing quality. The vectors can be easily edited. I also can use a stylus which I have done to create a proper design element. Meanwhile photoshop on the other hand if you choose to resize your work. it can lose quality which is not optimal. It is better to use vectors because you can see what needs to be done than using raster which include a lot of pixels. Photoshop can be used to edit pictures than to create a high-quality logo. As I would say when making a high-quality logo that will meet the attention of people it is better to use Illustrator. When using colors with illustrator it will be one of the best designs you ever did. You will experience quality design. These two applications have their difference. I also used Photoshop to make flyers in my past classes.

2. Yoanna Donalds

For a project like this, I would create this logo in Adobe Illustrator.

I would use Illustrator because it is a vector software meaning that whatever design is made in that software can be scaled bigger or smaller without losing any resolution issues or pixelation in the future. This fact makes exporting any logo or artwork for any purpose very easy and allows it to be adjusted to the user’s liking.

Unlike Photoshop, as stated in the name “photo” which is made of pixels. Creating a logo in that software will result in resolution and pixelation issues because Adobe Photoshop is a raster software. This means that everything made in that software is formed by pixels and if you want to scale your design bigger or smaller in the future you will run into complications with the resolution and pixelation of your design.

This is why Adobe Illustrator would be the best option; with its compatibility for making vector images and its versatility with layers. Many designers including myself will feel more comfortable creating a well-rounded design in this program and making sure that the client can use this design on any product or in any way they choose with no issues.

3. Martin Chacon

If I were to create a logo, I would use Illustrator because it is an application where I could be creative, and it also produces vector images, which would make my logo not lose image quality. Using vector graphics also ensures that the logo is versatile for any medium or format that a client needs. Illustrator also has a variety of specialized tools that I can use, such as custom fonts, shape tools, or different types of lines, etc. Another reason I would use Illustrator is to take advantage of its extensive library of colors and styles.

4. Oscar Wong

If I were to create a logo that would be used in various applications by a client, I would choose to create it in Illustrator instead of Photoshop. The reason I would use Illustrator is because Illustrator is a vector graphics focused software. Because vector images are rendered with formulas, they can be scaled up and down without losing quality. This makes it more appropriate for varied use, as the logo can be any size and still look the same. Photoshop would be less of a fit for this purpose because the program is mainly used to work with raster graphics, which are rendered with pixels. This means that enlarging a raster image would result in the pixels being more visible and lowering the quality of the picture. Therefore, a logo created in a raster format would not be able to be used well in various applications by a client, which is why I would choose Illustrator to create it.

5. juan gutierrez

I am interested in learning all the features of the Illustrator and Photoshop tools, as I don’t feel like I have enough knowledge of these applications. In my experience, I have had the opportunity to experiment and play around with the Illustrator tools, and I find it to be a very useful and effective application for creating logos for clients. Illustrator is a great choice for creating logos as it can be easily manipulated without losing quality in the image, it uses vector images which allows the logo to be scaled to any size without losing quality, which is crucial for use in different media and sizes. It also allows you to check shapes, lines, and fonts much better, which helps you create really clean and crisp logos.

6. Alexandra Panevina

If I need to create a logo for a client to be used in various applications, I would choose Illustrator.

Adobe Illustrator is the best choice for creating logos because it is a vector program, which means the design can be scaled to any size without losing quality. This is very important for logos that need to look clear and professional, whether they are placed on small items such as business cards or large formats such as billboards. Illustrator tools such as Pen Tool and Shape Builder are very handy and easy to use to create unique, clean, and, if necessary, highly detailed designs.

In addition, Illustrator makes it easy to export logos into a variety of formats that are widely compatible with other software and printing methods. This ensures that the logo can be used in a variety of media, from digital platforms to physical print media, in an unchanged form.

While Photoshop can create logos, it is designed primarily for raster images, which can lose quality when resized. Illustrator’s vector-based approach ensures that the logo retains its clarity wherever and however it is used.

7. Kevin Hutchinson

To create a logo for a client that would be used in various applications, Illustrator is the program I would choose. The reason for choosing Illustrator is because of the fact that it produces vector images, as opposed to the raster images associated with Photoshop. Vector images are smoother and can be scaled up or down in size without losing its smooth appearance. 

On the other hand, raster images are pixelated. This means that a rasterized image is composed of tiny squares which are visible when it is enlarged. Therefore a rasterized image will not appear smooth when enlarged. 

The reason for the focus on how the logo would appear when it is resized is because a logo would typically be used in various scenarios. From business cards to profile pictures to billboards to giveaway items such as pens, a client would want their logo to look exactly the same in all situations it was used. No matter if the client needed it large or small. 

For these reasons, vector files are what is needed, making Illustrator the program I would use between it and Photoshop. 

8. TJ

Tomeshwar Ramchan ( TJ )

If i were to make a logo that will be used in various applications for a client i would use the application Adobe Illustrator. I would use this application for multiple reasons. Specifically, I like using this application because in my opinion, it is more free for my creativity. As a designer I like to use shapes and colors, I like to blend and play with all colors. In Adobe Illustrator I can use text and be unique in my own little way. As in photoshop i feel more limited and more confused on how things work for that application. I understand the pros and cons of photoshop but in adobe illustrator i am more comfortable using that application. In Adobe Illustrator I am allowed to play with resolution and put layers on top of layers. That is why I would use Adobe illustrator. 

• Maureen Neuringer

Yes that is a good choice. Remember the fact that in Illustrator (vector artwork) you can enlarge and reduce work without loosing clarity. No pixels.