- Date: Add date
- Meeting Info: Add online details or in-person location
- Video Recording: To be added after class
- Topics: Course Overview, Introductions, Learning on the OpenLab, Your Visual Library
To-Do Before Class
- Create an OpenLab Account
- Join this Course
- Take the Student Survey
Discussion: Course Overview
COMD1100: Graphic Design Principles 1
This design and color theory course explores graphic communication through the understanding of the elements and principles of design, as well as the design process, from idea development through final execution.
Let’s take a look at our course site and review the course materials.
- Grading Policy
- Contact & Communications
- Add description of activity
- In the menu of this site, find Student Work > Discussions > Introductions
- Add a comment to the post, introducing yourself to the class. See How to Comment and Critique for help.
- Next reply to someone else’s comment!
Break (15 min)
Take a break.
Your Visual Library
Every week throughout the semester you will add images to your Visual Library. This collection of images will serve as inspiration for class projects, presentations, and discussions.
You can post anything you find inspiring or intriguing. It can be beautiful or ugly, quiet or loud, disturbing or comforting, sad or happy. Let’s get started!
- Look around your space for things that inspire you. These can be objects, signs, scenes, people, colors, light, shapes, anything!
- Take a well-composed photograph of each inspiration. If you can’t find anything that inspires you, keep trying!
- Follow the How to guide: Build your Visual Library and post your first images!
To-Do Before Next Class
- Join our OpenLab course.
- See How to Join a Course for help.
- Create your Visual Library gallery post using the photographs from the class activity or something else that inspires you.
- Follow the Building your Visual Library guide.
- Ask for help if you get stuck
- Respond to one of your
Materials for next class
Items from SUPPLY LIST**
- sketch book (9″x12″)
- bristol pad (9”x12” 2-ply smooth plate finish)
- tracing paper (9″x12″)
- graphite drawing pencils (6B, 2B, HB, 2H, 4H)
- pencil sharpener (basic metal)
- eraser (magic rub, mars, gum or similar)
- Pigma Micron inking pens (size .02 and .05)
- Faber-Castell Pitt Big Brush Pen or Pigma Micron brush
- small box for your supplies (find or reuse)
- portfolio to protect your work
- 1 roll drafting or removable tape
- metal ruler
** Note: if you are unable to purchase these items due to financial aid delays, please contact me BEFORE the next class.