Cooper Hewitt Field Trip Report

My communication design management class and i took a trip to the cooper hewitt design museum on the east side of manhattan. well actually my professor wanted us to all meet at the museum around 3:00pm, we all departed from our destinations separately. i ended up getting to an area  near the museum around 3:30 and wandering for about an hour , and actually getting to the location around 5:00. i would have complete missed my class but by some mystery of fate i bumped into my professor and classmates while they were making their last stop before dispersing . after meeting with them briefly i took the liberty of walking around myself and while doing this i noticed some pretty cool things.

I found the beauty exhibit to be aesthetically appealing. Some of the pieces in the exhibit that caught my attention were the Giambattista Valli haute couture dress, the Iris Van Herpen gown, and the Haas Brothers ‘Afreaks series.

what i found apealling about the Giambattista Valli  piece was the

Installation view of "Beauty—Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial." Photo by Matt Flynn © 2016 Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
Installation view of “Beauty—Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial.” Photo by Matt Flynn © 2016 Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum

gradient effect in color , and the contrast between the top of the dress and the bottom. Pink is also secretly one of my favorite colors. The top portion of the dress seems to be constructed like a 50’s/60’s poodle dress, while the lower portion for the waist cinch down is very gown , the pairing of the two elements is very interesting , and unique.

The  Iris Van Herpen gown is in my opinion less of a gown but more of a cocktail dress. This piece caught my attention because of its barely there nature but also because of the barely there nature of it. The entire dress is made out of some sort of crystal the outer part of the crystal itself  appears to be black but the inner part of the crystal that is cut out is like a dark emerald. The fact that it is a dress is almost amazing because 1, how would anyone get inside of it , and 2.i imagine it would be very very heavy. It is beautiful, and like most haute couture probably not intended to be worn or used.

The Haas Brothers ‘Afreaks series is this brightly colored room featured in the beauty exhibit. The vibrant colors and creatures look like something straight from the imagination of a child . some of the creature sculptures are pigmented with intricately strung beads. It is a wonder to look at. The Love and care i imagine whoever made the pieces must have put into each sculpture. Being in the room brings a smile to my face the brightly colored figures are accompanied by videos of the children i believe may have optrciciapted in the construction of them, this section of the exhibit makes me happy. 

despite being very late, and getting lost i really enjoyed this museum and i felt like it was very fruitful.