HW #1 – Photo Description Student: Christy Paz

The photograph is a black and white picture of the Empire State Building with the viewer looking up at it. The name of the photographer is Michael Kenna and the name of the picture is called Empire State Building Study 1, New York City, USA, 1978. I Think the purpose of the image is to not only show how grand and different the Empire State Building is compared to the other buildings in New York, but also show how the other buildings around it relate to it. I feel that the moods that are displayed in the photograph are the moods of self-worth, pride, and power.

One important formal element from the Steve McCurry video that is present in the photograph are the element of leading lines. The leading lines makes you focus on the tip of the Empire State Building and on the upper right corner of the picture. The second important formal element is the use of diagonals. All of the lines of this picture is a diagonal and the diagonals not only show that the camera was pointed up at the Empire State Building and the two other accompanying buildings that are beside it but also that the photograph was taken at an angle. I believe the diagonals were used to isolate the Empire State Building more to focus on its presence and of its size. The third formal element that is present in this picture is the use of symmetry. The use of symmetry allows the viewer to easily take in whats been shown giving a sense of simplicity and straightforwardness to the picture. The symmetry I believe also helps further isolate the subject making you focus on it even more. These elements help create the mood of the photograph by taking out unnecessary information in the area that the subject is in and focuses more on the uniqueness and presence of the subject itself.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

One Response to HW #1 – Photo Description Student: Christy Paz

1. rmichals says:

Symmetry we usually think of as horizontal or vertical but not diagonal. I would say a frame within the frame is really important here as the other two building serve to frame the Empire State building.