Sample Assignment

The following assignment was a self reflection statement about my time learning about Community Nursing at The Stein Center.

Professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance was demonstrated by maintaining patient confidentiality. Patient confidentiality was maintained by keeping client information private. Patients’ information and medical data i.e. blood pressure, were not shared with other clients. I adhered to the rules and regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. I assumed responsibility for my own learning by participating and helping others with their projects when I was not working on my own. I took the initiative to talk to certain seniors in the center regularly, so I can follow their progress in achieving their community-based needs. I was prepared for clinical learning by arriving on time with the necessary supplies i.e. blood pressure cuff. Completed assignments were submitted within the designated time frame, demonstrated by the timely submission of the web logs, the community assessment power point, as well as the Community Health midterm paper. Guidance was sought appropriately. When I had questions or was unsure about something I did not hesitate to ask my professor/staff questions. I participated actively in clinical conferences, providing feedback and ideas related to the service-learning project. I attended clinical with punctually and in accordance with school policy. I dressed professionally, wearing dress shoes, and dark slacks.

During my clinical experience, I employed analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting. I collected client information by speaking to the clients directly. Data such as blood pressure was retrieved manually. Clients were questioned about their medication usage, in order to determine whether they were adhering to their prescribed doses. I was able to assess the impact of developmental, emotional, cultural, religious and spiritual influences on the client’s health. Developmentally, I observed an obvious decrease of health status with age. I noticed that the emotional state of clients can play a large role in determining their health status. Those who exhibit less stress, tend to lead healthier lives and have less of a risk for a variety of diseases than those who exhibit a lot of stress. Cultural differences also determine health status, as different cultures perceive health differently. Different cultures have various ethnic dishes that can potentially affect a patient’s health. A clients’ religion also impacts their health because certain religions have beliefs that are in conflict with modern medical procedures i.e. Jehovah’s witnesses cannot receive blood transfusions. I collected significant data relevant to the clients self-care needs by observing the clients and interviewing them. I completed a focused physical assessment when I collected their blood pressures and a list of medications that they were taking. I applied priority setting in planning nursing interventions by prioritizing conversations with those clients experiencing abnormally high blood pressures. Safe and appropriate nursing interventions were conducted in a timely manner when I provided individual teaching on medications, and took patients blood pressure. Medications/treatments were not administered, as this was not required at the Stein Senior Center. I evaluated the outcomes of nursing care while presenting on important healthcare topics when I asked my clients to repeat what I had taught them. I distributed prizes when the seniors answered correctly as an incentive to participate. I was reflective about my nursing practice and modified client care as indicated by evaluation of client outcomes. An example of this is when some of the seniors were not able to answer questions that I asked after I provided teaching. The next time, I tried a different approach. I let the seniors listen to the presentation and read a summary of information, which I let them keep afterwards. I later reevaluated this approach and noticed that the seniors had an improved correct response rate. I utilized principles of personal safety when working in the community when I washed my hands before measuring the clients’ blood pressures.

I effectively communicated with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting. I did this by utilizing therapeutic communication skills with individuals and families in the community setting. This was accomplished by demonstrating active listening skills, dedicating time to conversation, and being empathetic. I utilized appropriate channels of communication when the health fair was organized. We had emailed politicians, and met face to face with other health fair participants. I communicated clearly and effectively with instructors, peers and the health care team by calling and emailing them. I communicated significant data to instructor and the health care team by reporting abnormally high blood pressures to my instructor. Working with the elderly I adapted communication skills to the developmental needs of the client by facing my client, repeating information, speaking clearly and using large colorful letters for my presentations. I documented and reported my assessments and nursing interventions by writing about my experiences in web logs and in this self-reflection.

I established an environment conducive to learning and used a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice by developing and implementing a teaching plan for an adult and/or family in the community setting. I did this by organizing the Stein Community Center Health fair and presentations with my peers, which covered a variety of topics such as stress management, AIDS awareness, holistic nursing, and physical activity etc. I established an environment conductive to learning when we informed the clines at the stein senior center ahead of time that the event will occur. We provided refreshments as incentives to learning. We spoke to each of the seniors discussing with them any questions that they may have had about the presentations. We provided pamphlets and brochures for them to take home. I evaluated client/family learning outcomes by asking the seniors questions about the presentations. I also provided various prizes such as gift baskets, and coupons.

I utilized informational technology when managing individual and families in the community by utilizing principles of nursing informatics in the clinical area. An example of this was when I used the computer center in the Stein Senior Center in order to research client conditions and medications. I maintained strict confidentiality with client records by reframing from speaking about clients in public areas. The names of those who got their blood pressure taken were not shown to other clients by replacing their name with a number.

Commitment to professional development was demonstrated when I used appropriate current literature in planning care for clients in the community setting. I did this when I was researching the 2020 health disparities in the area of the Stein Center. I conducted research on the variety of topics that were covered in the health fair. I assumed responsibility for lifelong learning when I decided to become a nurse. The health care field is constantly changing and evolving therefore it is essential for our knowledge to keep up with the changing world around us. I engaged in self-evaluation when I wrote about my experience in this self-reflection, as well as in the web logs. I am committed to adjusting to the challenges of independent practice in community health nursing by gaining experience in the field and furthering my education.

I incorporated professional nursing standards and accountability into practice by utilizing American Nurses Association Standards into my clinicals. I did this by practicing safely, within the scope of my practice and by abiding with institutional policies and procedures, as well as behaving ethically. I complied with agency standards of practice by enforcing HIPAA rules and regulations. I was accountable for actions in the clinical area by adhering to the rules/policies of the Stein Center. I am also aware of the agencies mission statement which is “To cultivate friendly relations among members of The Stein Center and the general public; to provide services with am emphasis on group growth; to share the strengths and wisdom of senior citizens, and referral services, and to safeguard the health and wellness of senior citizens”.

I collaborated with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team effectively to address client problems by notifying my instructor about any abnormally high blood pressures, or troubling information. I coordinated client-care based on client needs and therapeutic interventions by determining the needs of the community by researching the health care disparities in the area. My peers and I set up the Health Fair to be composed of topics of relevance to the geographical area. I identified health care resources for client/families by inviting various health care provider, politicians and exercise instructors to the Health Fair. This in turn allowed the seniors to become familiar with these vendors, receiving and synopsis of their services. I guided clients/families to make appropriate lifestyle and treatment choices by educating them on stress relief/ management, nutrition, medication adherence etc. I assisted clients to make connections to other community agencies by asking the vendors to provide coupons/ discounts in order for seniors to better afford their services.

I recognized the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affected the delivery of health care services by noticing the gap in the care system. The delivery of health care services depends on the economy, as funding is crucial to the success of health care facilities. Politicians have affluence on where to allocate government funding. Social and demographic forces influence the care clients receive as these forces have to do with how easily health care is accessed and the beliefs on the importance of health care. I began to identify solutions to complex problems in the clinical area when I organized the Health Fair, and conducted educational sessions on important healthcare disparities in the community. I acted as change agent in advocating the appropriate health care resources for client/families by encouraging clients to continue educating themselves on relevant healthcare topics, and by screening themselves for illness.

To conclude, I had an exiting and educational experience at the Stein Center. I was able to experience a side of nursing that I was never exposed to before. The community setting is definitely one I enjoy, as it was composed of clients who were functional and well. I felt fortunate to be able to spend my time with the elderly and participate in activities like belly-dancing and chorus. It was rewarding to provide blood pressure screenings to the seniors, as many may not have been able to/would not have screened their blood pressure themselves. The staff was welcoming and friendly, showing the utmost gratitude for all of our help. Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Stein Center. It provided me with a positive outlook on community nursing.