Learning Self- Analysis

During my time in the nursing program at New York City College of Technology, I found that I have learned a lot through my experiences and gained considerable knowledge. I was able to get a sense of what a profession outside the hospital would be like and expand my views on what nursing is. This program gave me the opportunity to experience different fields of nursing and work with nurses occupying a variety of positions. After I completed my Associate degree, I knew the basic knowledge needed to practice. In the Bachelors program I was able to study nursing in a broader sense. I think this will make me a better nurse because I have learned how to utilize evidence-based practice, something that will provide my patients with high quality, up to date care. I also got a better understanding of what case-management is and all that goes into coordinating quality cost-effective care. This program has taught me to keep up with current laws as they are ever-changing for nurses. It taught me that nurses can make a change in the nursing profession for themselves,as well as for their patients by advocating for them.

Being able to participate in Community nursing gave the opportunity to get involved with patients in a completely different way. I was able to focus on wellness and prevention rather than disease management. This program has provided me the opportunity to involve myself in group work, something there was not much of in the Associates program. I believe this was helpful as nursing is a rather social profession. I was able to have in depth discussions on a variety of difficult ethical issues, which gave me a better idea of the proper way to respond. It was interesting to hear the different point of views my peers had on important issues for nursing and the healthcare profession in general. I believe that this program afforded me the opportunity to take part in a lot of writing, which will benefit me as I continue my education.

I was able to learn about the management of organizations and got to see healthcare from the perspective of not only the nurse but also the patient, their family, the administrators, insurance companies, social workers etc. This program gave me a better idea of how the multidisciplinary team works together and the distinct roles we all play. This program has made me understand why a Bachelors degree in Nursing is beneficial in the progression of my professional journey. I believe that this program has opened my eyes to all the opportunities the nursing profession has to offer. I hope to utilize my experiences and the knowledge I have gained in order to provide better care for my patients.