Journal Entry #1

My internship for this Spring is with Brooklyn College. I officially started February 7th, and will be continuing until the end of the semester. It is completely online, so thankfully I do not have to physically go into the college. This worked out extremely well for me because I have quite a long commute to get to City Tech, so being able to work online helped maximize my time management.

For this internship, I get to utilize my skills to design various things for the college, such as banners, logos, advertisements, and other branding graphics.  As of right now, I work with one other intern, as well as a college assistant to collaborate and create various designs.

Brooklyn College is, well, a college, so it only has one location in Brooklyn, New York. It is a public institution that was founded in 1930, and is a part of the CUNY system. Brooklyn College aims to provide a transformative and affordable education to any and all students, and puts an emphasis on educating immigrants and first-gen college students. When it was founded in 1930, it was NYC’s first public coeducational liberal arts college. In 1961, it became a member of CUNY, and in 1970, had an open-admissions policy that granted any New York City resident to attend. This caused overcrowding of classrooms and budget and resources cuts, and began “retrenchment” in 1975 which cut back many services such as faculty and administration.

In recent news, Brooklyn College’s president ordered all security officers to surrender their guns, in response to gun safety. Soon after, there was a shooting near the school, and the college had to call other colleges and security officers that had guns to come to the college. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The college also received some backlash lately, regarding a situation with anti-Semitism, which they denounced on February 3rd.
Sources: Brooklyn College – Police Gun Carry Conundrum
Brooklyn College Facing Investigation for Treatment of Jewish Students in Mental Health Graduate Program