Philosophy

I chose nursing as my profession because I truly believe that the desire to help people through nursing is a calling, and I feel drawn toward helping those in need.  Nursing is an honorable career, and should not be treated as just a job to earn a paycheck.  My mission is to proudly provide nonjudgmental care to those in need regardless of race, spiritual beliefs, lifestyle choices, financial status, or disability.

My philosophy of nursing has been influenced by many different theorists. One theorist
that has greatly guided my way of practicing is Hildegard E. Peplau.  According to Peplau , nursing is therapeutic because it is a healing art, assisting an individual who is sick or in need of health care. Nursing can be viewed as an interpersonal process because it involves interaction between two or more individuals with a common goal. In nursing, this common goal provides the incentive for the therapeutic process in which the nurse and patient respect each other as individuals, both of them learning and growing as a result of the interaction. An individual learns when she or he selects stimuli in the environment and then reacts to these stimuli.