RAB Source Entry #3- Hannael Foucault

Part 1: MLA Citation

Parker, Tashara. “Unleashing Your Authenticity through Hair Freedom.” Tashara Parker: Unleashing Your Authenticity Through Hair Freedom | TED Talk, Sept. 2021, www.ted.com/talks/tashara_parker_unleashing_your_authenticity_through_hair_freedom. 

Part 2: Summary

The 16 minute TEDxFrisco speech titled ‘Unleashing Your Authenticity Through Hair Freedom,’ by Tashara Parker highlights hair discrimination in the workplace and how beneficial it is to broadcast black hair in the media. Hair discrimination in the workplace causes black girls to deem themselves unfit for certain jobs because they don’t see people who look like them doing those jobs. Parker stated, “You know, I did not see a whole lot of new anchors who looked like me doing this type of work, especially not rocking their natural hair consistently. So as a child I did not believe that this was a career that I could be successful in, especially if I chose to show up with my nappy afro.” Parker is explaining how lack of diversity in the media and in the workplace caused her to not be able to see herself doing something she is now passionate for, which is journalism. To elaborate, as a young black girl only seeing white women in high positions, it makes it hard to imagine yourself getting to that level. Not only did seeing a lack of black women working on tv discourage Parker from thinking she could be in the same position, but the ones she did see rarely had their natural hair out. Even today, many black news anchors keep their hair straight to avoid backlash. After wearing a natural hairstyle on air Parker paraphrased an email that was sent to her which stated, “I am so disappointed your new anchor doesnt up uphold the professional appearance that news anchors have, extremely unprofessional large hoops are not considered appropriate in the workplace, or buns on top of your head with unkempt hair. Tashara Parker needs a professional makeover ASAP.” Parker’s use of the word ‘unkempt’ just goes to show that many people still view natural hair as something that should be hidden. That email was a perfect example of why black women feel self conscious whenever they wear black hairstyles to their place of work. The phrase ‘professional makeover’ is interesting because what would that consist of? It most likely would consist of stripping away Parker’s racial identity by straightening her hair to fit the white beauty and ‘professional’ standard. Fortunately, black women like Tashara Parker are slowly starting to feel more comfortable wearing black styles due to the CROWN act which provides protection towards black hairstyles. CROWN stands for creating a respectful and open world for natural hair. Now black men and women can show up to work being their authentic selves without fear of being terminated or reprimanded.

Part 3: Reflection

I can relate to Tashara Parker because I remember watching the news with my parents when I was younger and mostly seeing white women with straight blonde or brown hair. I never thought much about it because it seemed natural to me that only white people would have those positions. Now that society is evolving and is becoming more inclusive to different types of people, I can say that I see so many more women who look like me in high positions. Black women can even say that they have a black woman, Ketanji Brown Jackson, in the supreme court justice with locs! When Parker talked about how wearing her natural hair in three buns on T.V inspired young black girls to want to wear their hair the same way made her feel like she made a difference I really appreciated it. I appreciated it because I wish I had someone like that on my T.V when I was younger. If I did, maybe I would have grown to have a better relationship with my hair. I have a 4 year old sister and I’m relieved to say she is growing in a generation where there is more awareness for the embrace of natural hair. I make sure to always style my sister’s hair in two puffs or an afro and tell her how pretty it looks because it’s important for that to be instilled in her at a young age. I agree with Parker when she stated multiple times that being authentic is the best thing you could do for yourself. For me, being authentic isn’t simply how your hair is styled, but it’s how you feel when your hair is styled that way. It’s the difference between looking a certain way because you feel like that’s what others want and looking a certain way because that’s when you feel the most comfortable and authentic. Every time I switch my hair whether it’s natural, straight or something else, I make sure I’m doing it for me.

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis

TED Talk is known for being a non profit devoted to spreading ideas, sharing stories and educating audiences. TED talk makes sure to check the background and credibility of all the speakers they invite to talk. Though TED talk is not 100% reliable because a lot of speakers who come on have their own opinion on matters, it is a great source because educated people from all over come to voice their perspective with others. The audience is for African Americans because they can relate to Parker’s experience with hair discrimination and can benefit from her outlook on authenticity. Parker’s purpose is to persuade others to share her view on being unapologetically yourself and making an effort to put an end to hair discrimination in the workplace. She does so by appealing to pathos. The occasion is the multiple cases where black adults and children get targeted or punished because of how they choose to wear their hair. Parker connects to the audience sharing her own experience with hair discrimination and how she’s grown from that. Tashara Parker is an experienced CBS19 news anchor with a history in the broadcast media industry, 2 time Emmy-Winning journalist, founder of the non-profit LOUD Women Lead organization and a global DEIB speaker.

Part 5: Notable Quotables

“This is how I was wearing my hair when I first got into this business (shows old picture of her hair straightened) , I showed up as the person I thought I needed to be to fit into my workplace, it was a hairstyle that I was told would make me look older, more mature like somebody who viewers could trust.”  (Tashara Parker)

“Knowing that I wasn’t the norm, I was challenged with the choice in how I wanted to show up.” (Tashara Parker)

“You know I did not see a whole lot of new anchors who looked like me doing this type of work, especially not rocking their natural hair consistently. So as a child I did not believe that this was a career that I could be successful in, especially if I chose to show up with my nappy afro.” (Tashara Parker)

“Even as a six year old and according to her mom she wakes up every morning and she says she can see herself in me. She’ll never have to second guess whether or not she belongs on a T.V screen.” (Tashara Parker)

2 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry #3- Hannael Foucault”

1. Not sure if this is your own ideas/opinion or this is a MI of the speaker. Pls clarify and move to Reflection is this is not the speaker’s MI and is your own viewpoint. In Summary you write: Parker’s use of the word ‘unkempt’ just goes to show that many people still view natural hair as something that should be hidden. That email was a perfect example of why black women feel self conscious whenever they wear black hairstyles to their place of work. The phrase ‘professional makeover’ is interesting because what would that consist of? It most likely would consist of stripping away Parker’s racial identity by straightening her hair to fit the white beauty and ‘professional’ standard. Fortunately, black women like Tashara Parker are slowly starting to feel more comfortable wearing black styles due to the CROWN act which provides protection towards black hairstyles. CROWN stands for creating a respectful and open world for natural hair. Now black men and women can show up to work being their authentic selves without fear of being terminated or reprimanded.

2. Reflection: I like your thinking on what being authentic means for black women and their hair-identity. I like your personal story about helping your little sister feel confident about her hair.