Outline Genre Project  Podcast —Hannael F

This is a Personal Podcast

1. Intro

(Alarm rings)

I wake out of bed in a shock remembering that I didn’t tie down my hair last night. Now it’s in a weird dry fro. I sit in front of my vanity staring blankly at my hair wondering what I should do with it. I pick and pull at different curls while still half asleep.

(Music starts to play)

School starts in 2 hours so I dont have much time to spare, but music always seems to help me move faster.

(Sound of spray bottle spritzing) 

I spritz water all over my head in an effort to make it soft enough to brush through.

(Sound of Brush going through hair)

To detangle my hair I need to rip through with the same hard brush I’ve had for the whole year. Some of the bristles are broken off from the previous battles it’s had with my hair. Finally, my hair sits in a soft and moisturized poof, but I’m not done yet. Why aren’t I confident even to go to school like this? After all there’s nothing wrong with it but it just feels undone. It feels the same as if I were to go to school in pajamas.

(Door creaks open)

Mother: It’s almost time for you to leave for school. Wait, are you going to do something with your hair?

(Sighs)

Well if I was considering leaving my hair out before, now it’s really not an option for me.

1. The Middle Part

-My mother comes in and asks what I will do with my hair which makes me self conscious

-I try different natural styles, but none of the look how I want them to

-My arms start to get tired from struggling with my hair 

-I get frustrated and turn my music off

-I pull all my hair into a tight bun in the back 

-My comb snaps from brushing my hair back 

-After finally getting my hair in the bun I get one one my wigs to put on

-I pulled out my straightener and start to flare iron the hair 

-The whole room starts to smell like burnt hair 

-Looking at my finished hair in the mirror I feel pretty, I feel like myself. All those other styles I did made me feel childish and incomplete.

-I leave the house

1. Outro: 

I walk into school and my peers compliment my hair. 

Friend: “I like your hair better when it’s straight”.

Even my teachers make comments about my new-do. I’ve noticed that I never get that kind of attention when my hair is curly or in braids. Maybe that’s why I don’t always feel pretty in those styles. I love being a black woman and having black hair, knowing that other people don’t love it makes me want to hide it away. Society needs to start putting more awareness towards making black women feel beautiful in cultural hair styles. Black women are the most targeted group when it comes to looks and beauty.

1 thought on “ Outline Genre Project  Podcast —Hannael F”