Title:  Outline op-ed – Jason

GENRE: op-ed 

WORKING TITLE FOR MY OP-ED:  Standing Strong: The Perseverance of Ukraine in the Face of Russian Aggression. 

Intro:  

• Quote 
  • Who am I, My background, My families background 
  • Who is Putin? 
  • Who is Zelensky? 
  • History of Russia and Ukraine 
  • USSR Ukraine independence 1991/invasion of Crimea information 

Part 1: 

• Why is this war happening 
  • What is Putin’s main goal  
  • What is Putin targeting Ukraine  

Part 2: 

• What has this war lead to currently 
  • What are other countries doing to help Ukraine or Russia 
  • How have country relations backed down or grew from the war 
  • What are the negative effects happening to Russia (economy, currency, etc) 
  • Russia and Ukraine with NATO 

Part 3: 

• Family thinking (Both sides of the war) 
  • Personal thinking 
  • What are the effects on people that have a Ukraine/Russia people that live America or different countries other than Ukraine or Russia? 
  • Data and statistics on countries current state  

Part 4: 

• How have people all around the world have helped Ukraine 
  • Is Russia ever going to stand down? 
  • Are we at the brink of another World War 
  • Will nukes ever be set of? 

Conclusion: 

• My message will be to raising awareness about the historical and political context of the conflict, and the devastating human cost that it has had on the people of Ukraine. 
  • I will reiterate what the main goal is of President Putin. I will also propose a possible solution for the crisis. 

5 thoughts on “Title:  Outline op-ed – Jason”

1. Dear Jason,

I think your outline is well thought out. However, since this will be an op-ed I recommend possibly focusing more on YOUR opinion or thoughts about this issue. Not so much on the facts. Focus more on the people and their stories rather than the facts because that’s what the news outlets do already. If you disagree, I would say your outline is more of a feature piece because you’re covering an issue in greater depth than a news story would do. However, I might be wrong so just double check with Prof. Wu .

2. some miss labeling is the quote the hook. i think “Who am I, My background, My families background” should be in part 3 because telling the people your family is in the beginning won’t be relevant until part 3 maybe just tell who you are is ok but i think all that should be in part 3.

3. Jason:

I think Odalys has a point. It’s absolutely ok to give a good background (and of course you must use at least 2 references to your research). But you must in an op-ed be arguing persuading the reader.

Have you explored the resources I gave in the Option To Write an Op-ed on how to write an op-ed? PLEASE DO LOOK AT THESE HOW TO resources. Here is something I will pull out from the Duke Univ’s Writing Op-eds, a how to piece:

Offer specific recommendations:

• An op-ed is not a news story that simply describes a situation; it is your opinion about how to improve matters.
    • An op-ed is not a journal article. It needs to be personal–both in terms of having your personal voice and perspective come through, and also in covering a topic that is personal to the readers.
    • Don’t be satisfied, as you might be in a classroom, with mere analysis. Op-eds are, by definition, opinions and they should advocate persuasively for something. How exactly should your state protect its environment, or the White House change its foreign policy or parents choose healthier foods for their children? You’ll need to do more than call for “more research!” or suggest that opposing parties work out their differences. The best opinion pieces have a clear, persuasive and well-argued call to action. They should answer the question: What do you want the reader to do, think or feel as a result of your piece?
  4. QUESTION: You need to make sure that your op-ed does indeed reflect some of the learning from your RAB research. So could you have written this plan a month ago before you did the RAB work? I hope not; I hope that this op-ed does in fact reflect some of your newly gained knowledge.

And so the point will be to choose the parts of research and background that is necessary to supporting your point / your aim which is?

• WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR MESSAGE: you write: My message will be to raising awareness about the historical and political context of the conflict, and the devastating human cost that it has had on the people of Ukraine.  OK this is very big and general. In fact, probably you could have said that without doing the research.
    • WHAT EXACTLY is your message? SO A MORE EXACT CLEAR MESSAGE. The war in Ukraine is wrong because _______ What is the main reason you will be showing through your research and through your own personal and familial perspective?

AND so What is YOUR JASON’s solution: You don’t tell me. You just write:
    I will also propose a possible solution for the crisis. WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION. YOu should already know becuase you have done some research!