Mentor Text Analysis – Bithiah

β€œI Make Video Games. I Won’t Let My Daughters Play Them,” by William Siu.

This text captivated the audience in the introduction, as it began with the action taken by Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, to ensure the safety of minors. The piece uses research using statistics when discussing a recent study that followed teenage video game players for six years. The text is a narrative because the author provides a collection of events that reflect or support a specific point of view. The text consists of 20 paragraphs, is three pages long, and has 1,171 words. The primary audience of the piece is parents. This article, in my opinion, is also intended for video game developers. Parents are the primary audience since the author explains why he does not allow his children to play games as a parent who creates video games. The author also wants parents to be aware of the negative impacts of video games that they allow their children to play, as described in his solutions to this problem. This text is also directed toward video game developers since the author revealed how his main goal was β€œTo build habit-forming games that have players coming back every day,” oblivious to the impacts it would have on individuals. As time passed and Siu learned about these consequences, he decided to alter the kind of games he created. Siu concluded by offering some solutions to this problem and informing us about some of the changes he has implemented and how they have benefited children. In my project, I would ensure that all of the information I provide is relevant to my topic and supports my claim. I would do this by devoting time to my work and conducting extensive research.