Title Between Two Worlds — Alexis Rodriguez

I’m choosing “saved”
Not necessarily affecting my educational journey but during my educational journey I have been stereotyped significantly. During high school first-year student, I was known as the quiet kid that wears all black and the white kid. They never called me that, but I was the odds one out in a lot of cases, having a lighter complexion was the minority in the school. Those that were my friends always liked dark humor jokes, and they had a dark humor joke regarding me. I am not sure if I can even mention it as it’s very vulgar, but it is a name that instils fears mostly in America. To follow up with an example, I had been in an altercation with an acquaintance. It must have looked bad to an outsider, but another bystander waiting for class immediately bang walking from the location. I was later told by another one of my friends that it was due to the vulgar nickname I had. They all thought I was white until I said what my ethnicity was, Puerto Rican. I do not look Puerto Rican for obvious reasons which of course is understanding to why people must have thought I was lying or joking when I said it. Even recently I learned that I am also part spainard which I found interesting to say the least. Now that I think of it, it may have affected my educational journey by a bit as my school was always in favor of culture outside the United States. So, they may have presented opportunities to others while I did not receive the same. Overall, by the end of high school a decent amount of people knew I was Puerto Rican because I was able to inform them, especially via presentation I was able to help with regarding Puerto Rico.