Resilience — Bithiah

Online classes caught on during the pandemic, because of the lockdown. It was meant to be helpful to me as a student, but I saw it as more of an inconvenience due to my routine whenever I was in the comfort of my home. On holidays, I tend to rest and enjoy myself; I sleep at any time and wake up at any time. On the other hand, I had now found myself with the obligation to wake up as early as possible and attend classes, while still in the confines of my home. I had to create time to study and do assignments. All of these were hard for me to adjust to because I was at home, and I could not resist my old habits.

I knew it was important to be on track in my classes to get good grades. Therefore, I had to do things that would help me adjust to the newly found struggle I was facing. I went ahead to make a schedule and set reminders so that I could always be on time. I minimized screen time on all my devices to avoid all forms of distractions. During the process of attending the classes and following my schedule, I realized that I still could not learn effectively because the teachers were also new to this method of teaching; As a result, they were not able to carry the class along while teaching. To counter this, I began to go over my notes immediately after classes to improve my understanding.

I found myself adapting to my challenges and overcoming them at an almost alarming pace. Aside from the ability to adapt, I discovered that I did not let my challenges weigh me down because I never gave up.

When the pandemic ended and my school resumed, I found myself still using the skills I had gained from online classes to ensure my success. Planning my schedule each day and reading my notes after every class had become part of me. Schedule planning did not just improve my school life, but also my day-to-day activities by helping me achieve peak productivity each day.

In conclusion, online classes during the pandemic helped me to accelerate my mindset into scheduled planning and strategic time management to help me succeed in my endeavors.

2 thoughts on “Resilience — Bithiah”

1. Bithiah — this is good. However can you frame this as a narrative, a STORY?

You need a better beginning that shows me YOU– Where were you? When was this (give dates — remember to be specific — we have been talking about this and noticing this in our readings). Can you show me a specific morning waking up and having to be on Zoom class? Show me your hardship in adjusting your sleep habits. IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO? You need to paint a picture instead of just telling me in a breezy skimming surface mannyer. Remember our readings and how Malcolm X created a scene. He took us to his cell room and his learning to read? Try to make your writing draw the reader in and be interesting!