The Ursula C. Schwerin Library at New York City College of Technology, CUNY, seeks a tenure-track library faculty member at the Instructor or Assistant Professor rank to serve as Technical Services & Electronic Resources Librarian. Reporting to the Chief Librarian, the successful candidate will be responsible for the library’s cataloging, serials, and electronic resources operations, working with colleagues in the library and at the college and university. The Technical Services & Electronic Resources Librarian will also offer reference and be responsible for designated subject specialist liaison activities. All members of the library faculty must maintain a record of excellence in librarianship, scholarly achievement, and service. The Ursula C. Schwerin Library is committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.
The Technical Services and Electronic Resources Librarian will:
- Perform original cataloging, and oversee and maintain vendor-ready cataloging for print and ebooks and serials.
- Coordinate electronic resources workflow including ejournal holdings, database trials and subscription set up, and outreach and publicity for new resources.
- Manage print journals and continuations including claiming and other typical print serials functions.
- Supervise full-time support staff.
- Represent City Tech on the CUNY Office of Library Services Cataloging Committee, Electronic Resources Management Committee, and Electronic Resources Advisory Committee.
- Work as subject specialist in assigned curricular areas, including collection development, communication and consultation with subject faculty, and reference and information literacy instruction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution
- A second master’s degree OR doctorate is required for appointment as tenure-track Assistant Professor; if appointed as Instructor, the candidate will be expected to complete an additional graduate degree within 5 years (CUNY tuition remission is available)
- Experience in library technical services, electronic resources, or related field
- An interest in scholarship or creative achievement appropriate for a tenure-track position
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities, a commitment to collaboration and mutual respect, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and committees in our multicultural library and college/university community
- Supervisory experience
- Experience working in an academic or research library
- Background, experience, or degree in STEM fields, especially health sciences or engineering technologies
- Familiarity with Ex Libris, OCLC, or related products
- Knowledge of cataloging best practices, familiarity with RDA
- Familiarity with assessment practices in libraries and higher education
New York City College of Technology (City Tech), City University of New York, is the largest public baccalaureate college of technology in the Northeast. The college awards both associate and baccalaureate degrees that allow graduates to pursue careers in the computing and engineering technologies, health professions, human services, hospitality, and other professional and technical fields. Our college community includes over 17,000 students from 145 countries, and most are the first in their family to attend college.
City Tech’s Ursula C. Schwerin Library is integral to the educational mission of the college, and fosters connections with and supports students, faculty, and staff in their academic pursuits. Library faculty and staff are committed to student success as we implement and acquire those services and resources that will have the greatest positive impact on the diverse City Tech community. As members of an academic department in the college, library faculty at City Tech and CUNY are represented by the Professional Staff Congress union (http://psc-cuny.org).
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin on or after July 12, 2021.
How to Apply:
Candidates should provide a cover letter, CV, statement of scholarly interests, and contact information for three references as one document.
Visit http://cuny.jobs to apply: https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-ny/technical-services-electronic-resources-librarian-instructor-or-assistant-professor-tenure-track-ursula-c-schwerin-library/1CF9D3D6A39248BE856ED902AE16E599/job/