Penn Station Video Reflection

“Penn Station is a martyr that enabled Grand Central Terminal to be saved.”

This was probably the most frustrating line that the video talked about. I don’t believe that Penn Station was a martyr, because I see Penn Station as a victim. A victim to New Yorker’s ignorance of understanding the necessity to hold on to buildings that preserve history. I believe that we as New Yorkers are so keen and happy with the future, since we are always the first to every new gadget and gizmo on the market, that we forget what it means to preserve New York- that we as a city have our own history. The destruction of Penn Station isn’t JUST about the building; its about a beautiful piece of our history (the history of the effort of thousands of New Yorkers who put their sweat, blood, tears, and lives for the creation of Penn Station) that was allowed to be destroyed for capital, profit, and the “bottom line.” The most powerful emotion that passed through me while watching the video was when the actual pieces of Penn Station were being removed and the last shot of them lying a thither abandoned in some waste in NJ. Professor Philip’s reaction in our last GCT tour became crystal clear to me- when she was outraged that a hotel from Terminal City was being torn down to be replaced by a 70 story skyscraper- I completely understand your anguish Professor!

The video as a whole was extremely interesting, and I felt as though the video was very informative but also emotional in the sense that the struggle of bringing Penn Station to life was that of not only Alexander Cassatt, but numerous other workers, from engineers to the sandhogs who carefully and dutifully gave us Penn Station.

I believe that this video will haunt me every time I pass through 34th street, whether on the train or on foot or on car. Every time I hear “This is 34th Street Penn Station; transfer to the 3, …, and Amtrak” the footage of Penn Station being built, how the sheer enormity of its building was awe inspiring, and the destruction and waste of Penn Station will flash before my eyes. oh the heartache!