Eng 1101 project# 2 Draft

In New York there is and will always be a history left behind. It can be the “old” New York or the “New” New York. The Old t New York can be someone who lived centuries ago. Just Like Colsen whiteheads talks about In “City Limits” his new York is the Old New York. not everyone’s New York is the same as others. There could’ve been something that was there years ago that isn’t there now. The way things looked now is probably way different then what it looked years ago. Everyone living and king into New York will always have there won New York. Some might say that the New York in 2001 was way better than the New York in 2012. There could’ve been a drastic change.

Just like my location I choosed in New York close by City Tech in Brooklyn. my location is on court street and Atlantic Avenue. My location is a place where is sort of relates to Colsen whitehead like when he says ” the travel agency that replaced the pizza parlor”. Right on court street and Atlantic if you stand on the corner you see a trader’s Joe before them it was a bank. So the bank was replaced with a for market. You would never thought that a bank would be closed knowing that it’s a bank where people have there money saved. So it sort of similar to what Colsen white head says because overtime as years go by there’s always new ideas new arrangements, new building, business getting shutdown being replaced by another business. Another thing Colsen whitehead says to “I never got a chance to say goodbye to some of my old buildings”  you would never know when you favorite pizza shop that you always being going to since you lived in the neighborhood would just close without evening saying goodbye. But New York will always continue to grow. There will always be a variety of things from the different cultures we have from people coming here to live.

The location I went to explore to also shows how the neighborhood has a quite peaceful side and walking to other side is more of a busy business type or area. So it relates to Whitehead when he says that “you stepped out of penn station into the dizzying hustle of eighth avenue and fainted”. He describes as if that place was really crowded and busy. Just like at my location where you see a lot more people. Sometimes it’s crowded to even walk straight. That’s the business/ commercial side where there’s a lot of stores there just like when I walked back to the school I walked a little on Fulton and all you see if stores lined up next to each other. So I would say that walking on Fulton is sort of like wasting on 14th street or Times Square in manhattan. There’s always quite a few of people walking, shopping and maybe even going to work or at home.

But I wouldn’t say my New York is the same as Colsen whitehead’s New York. Maybe his New York is the “old” New York and my New York is the “new” new york for me. From what he said in the short story seems like to has changed to something else. Just like when he still says ” the Pan Am building” instead saying the met Life building. But let’s say now when I would to see the building I would say it’s the met life building because that’s how I would know of it I wasn’t there years ago to see what it was before. Like he said ” the New York City you live in is not my New York City”. And he is right because my New York City is way different than his. I may like my New York now then what it was before because I was never there to experience the ole New York. I may not the New York City that comes after this one. I might not like the changes I might still be use to my New York and not the new one in the future.

My New York May be a lot different than someone else’s New York. But not just there New York but the location they choose. There maybe a lot more houses, parks than stores. For my location there wasn’t really much skyscraper just like Whitehead described his New York. The way he described his New York seems a lot more different then what I saw at my location. I’m really well known with the location but from what I sort of know its seems as if everything is still the same and I don’t think there has been a placed that been replaced by something else. But I know that sometime in a few year if I were to walk back to that location it would change and have a different look. Or it can possibly stay the way it is now.

Not everyone’s new New York is the same to others. People see there New York differently. There New York might be just like Whitehead’s New York where they saw everything that was there before it was replaced with what is there now. Just like if tourist where to come here to New York there going to see what is here now. They might say that this is there New York now.