Midterm Project Statement

Lorena Gonzalez

Midterm Statement

Midterm Project statement:

In my opinion I feel like racial profiling is a major social issue. Just racism itself is a very big issue especially in New York which is diverse city, and the increase of racial profiling has gone up a lot. But being more specific I feel like racial profiling is a social issue that still happens but has not been something that has been changed. It leads to many other problems such as hate crimes, racism and bullying too. So to be exact with what racial profiling is, it means when you suspect someone has done something bad or is “bad” by their race or ethnicity. Like you kind of assume something suspicious by their profile, their physical appearance. I feel like it’s an issue that does not get enough attention but I feel like it is a major issue which leads to racism and hate crime. I wouldn’t say that it’s relevant to my life but it’s something I have witnessed or probably experienced once in my life. I feel like it has to do a lot with gender also. Racial profiling is important and should actually get more attention to stop the issue because it leads to more problems. If this never happened people would not feel offended and safe walking anywhere without being stopped. There wouldn’t be any assumptions of anyone because of their race or ethnicity. If racial profiling didn’t exist there wouldn’t be hate crimes or people offending others. So it’s important to stop the racial profiling because it would prevent illegal descrimination, it affects minorities and immigrant communities. It is unfair because many may feel targeted. It also breaks that trust and safety barrier, for example, when living in New York where we should feel safe and protected by police officers, some of us New Yorkers feel ashamed or embarrassed because some of them experience that on a daily basis and are treated as if there are some kind of “dangerous” or suspicious person. But Here is a link where you can read some stories on racial profiling and what it is and some more about it. 

Link:https://www.americanbar.org/groups/criminal_justice/publications/criminal-justice-magazine/2020/winter/racial-profiling-past-present-and-future/

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/criminal_justice/publications/criminal-justice-magazine/2020/winter/racial-profiling-past-present-and-future/