First OpenLab Assignment

Your first OpenLab Discussion assignment is to introduce yourself to your classmates.  This assignment is due Monday, September 4th, at the start of class. Late submissions will receive partial credit.

Assignment. Add a comment in reply to this post introducing yourself to the class.  Your comment should be at least 2 paragraphs in length.  In the first paragraph, introduce yourself in whatever way you wish. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).  In the second paragraph, choose ONE of the following two topics and write a response. Don’t forget to tell us which topic you chose.

Topics (choose ONE).

1. Was math ever your favorite subject? If so, when was it? What about math made it your favorite? If math has never been your favorite subject, what about it do you not like?
  2. Sometimes people can recognize a time when their opinion of math dramatically changed either for the better or the worse. Tell us about it.

Extra Credit. Get to know your classmates! For extra credit, write a response to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you feel the same? Did you learn anything? Do you have any advice? Be kind.

1. Sarah Ramotar

Hello my name is Sarah Ramotar, i’m majoring in Radiology. Im a nail tech and i also have my cna certificate and im working on getting my Real Estate license. Im 18 and live on the borderline of queens and brooklyn. i like to do productive things when i have the energy to do so.i choose radiology because i wanted to do something in the medical field but when i was doing my CNA class i realized i could do it but not as a permanent job that i,m passionate about so i started at looking at other fields and a Radiologist caught my eyes

Math was my favorite subject throughout middle school and high school because i like predictable things with other subjects there are a variety ways you could answer a question but with math there only one right answer with multiple techniques to help you get your answer. But im weird when it comes to learning math i can never get it when someone is explaining it to me i have to look an example or a in depth youtube video and get it myself before i understand the topic or how im suppose to learn the equation

2. Nolwenne

I am a very introverted person, speaking up is also not my forte. Few stuffs I love to do in my spare time are watching anime, playing games, I also like watching entertainment series like Master Chef, bard mondo, little women Atlanta and little women la. In a time of need I watch math videos to help understand certain stuff I did not understand in class. Sometimes they can be extremely helpful, other times not so helpful. What I like to do the most is watching math videos to help me understand questions I do not understand. I like watching criminal minds because it helps understand people and their intentions in a more transparent way. I like reading manga, Manhwa, and virtual novels because it is fun to read.

Topic #1 

Out of all the subjects I had in middle school and high school, math was the least favorite and it still is because of its numbers, formula, finding x and y, all of those sometimes it can be very confusing. Math is the subject I fear and struggle with the most in high school because of its complexity. Math was never a favorite subject in my opinion; it was more of a subject I needed to learn for school and for the future. There is no straightforward way in math. It is always harder and difficult, which makes the subject more intimate. Math can be so complex and logically make any sense at that same time. There are multiple ways to do math but eventually those options are incorrect which can lead you to an answer that is far from the right answer. As it results math gets me frustrated and not being to get the right answer makes me more confused and overthink everything, compared to my other classmates I personally dislike math. If I had a chance to not take it for my major, I would take it. 

3. heivyr

Hello, my name is Heivy Rodriguez. I’m majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I’ve always preferred math and science over subjects like ELA and history. I like playing sports in my spare time. I played volleyball and basketball in high school, and I also like playing pick up soccer.

Math was always one of my favorite subjects because it was more interesting than the other subjects in school. In classes like ELA and history I would always be so bored and uninterested when in class. It didn’t catch my attention like science and math did. My favorite subject I ever took in school was physics. It combined my two favorite subjects. My physics teacher was also my favorite teacher in high school, he was one of the reasons I decided to major in Mechanical Engineering. He also taught me in my engineering class in high school and it was one of my favorite classes as well.

4. Odalys

My name is Odalys (pronounced o-dallas)  but I prefer to be called by my middle name, Kimberly. I was a visual arts student before transferring and switching majors into architecture. On my few travels out of the country, I’ve been swept by interesting and beautiful facades and good landscape architecture. I’ve been fascinated by the architecture of each new country and city I visit where buildings, parks, monuments and landscapes give their cities unique identities. This is partly the reason for why I decided on this major. I just also happen to be creative, and I like to imagine innovative spaces that might someday be projects that actually get to be realized. My interests are in traveling, exploring cultures, pottery making and ceramic glazing, gardening, kayaking, surfing, and mountain climbing. I used to run cross country in high school and I absolutely still love running and keeping active through mountain climbing at a climbing gym, and I do partake in MMA classes as well. I love reading wellness, science fiction, fiction, dystopian and mystery genre books. 

Math was never my favorite subject, in fact, I always dreaded math because the numbers and letters mixed me up and I was always too timid to ask for help. There was a time when I did enjoy math a lot, and it was especially when I had very attentive instructors looking at my work and making me feel like it was totally okay not to understand something. I hate the feeling of being put on the spot light when I have absolutely no clue what I am doing and it really cements this feeling of fear and embarrassment for not knowing something. Which I feel is totally not okay when it comes to being taught anything new. I like being able to have a concept explained to me, I enjoy math when it becomes so much less intimidating and more of a fun problem solving game. I just happen to understand the material far better. I look forward to practicing a lot and being able to use the resources available to me to do my best this semester.

5. ibi

Hi, my name is Ibolya Kolya,I am originally from Hungary but in the last decade my family and myself have been living in the USA/Brooklyn. My major is Radiology because I am interested in health care and helping people.

I was never especially against or favored the subject of Mathematics. In my free time I enjoy going to the beach, being outside,I love Latin dances and music.

The reason I find enjoyment in the subject of Math is because studying and solving problems acts to me, as a moment of triumph:).

6. nycdxminik

Hello! My name is Dominik, but y’all could call me Dom. Im majoring in Accounting. Im a very quiet person, I don’t always tend to start conversations first. I consider myself an athlete. Growing up I’ve played soccer, I played basketball for my high school team and I go to the gym in my free time. My interests include of athletics, technology and whatever keeps me out of the house. Something that people may find interesting about me is that I work at the US Open so I keep myself busy outside of school.

Math slowly became one of my favorite classes throughout the end of middle school and the beginning of high school. Even-though math had me confused most of the time I really found the satisfaction of doing lots of work with formulas and having the correct answer at the end. I feel like math is one of my favorites because i’m a visual learner, so whenever a teacher shows examples of how problems are solved step by step I can catch onto it quick. I also remember how in high school I aced a math test in my pre-calculus class when I was also the first one finished. (never happened again)

7. Anthony Flores

My name is Anthony Flores. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology, I was born here but both my parents are from Mexico. To be honest I’ve always preferred math over any other subject. Math was always preferred for me because there’s only one correct answer which can get difficult at times but at others it makes it interesting.

Although I spend some of my time reading in my spare time, about self growth, and fiction. I never really liked the subject ELA. In my spare time I play soccer, most of my spare time is playing soccer.

8. YaoHui Chen

My name is YaoHui Chen, or you guys can call me Leo if it hard to pronounce. I am originated form China. My current major is computer Infor system. will the only thing that I like about computer Infor system is that I like to design code that can make the connection between the software and the hardware. For my free time, I like to stay home and drink, or some times i go out and play basketball.

I would say math is my favorite subject for all the time because numbers are pretty easy for me to memorized. The only thing that I don’t like about math is when you show tons of work in order to get one solution.