The three readings from this week were rather interesting. One of the readings was written in a form of poetry, which made it difficult for me to grasp at first whilst the others was more straightforward. The artists from the readings envisioned a future where they believed that the art of an artist has to be more than representational art, which was what the typical artist was known for during those times. The writers believed that yesterday’s artist has to adopt new qualities of being today’s constructors and assemblers. Taking on a higher responsibility as an artist. Artists have to get off their high horse and become more in touch with their engineering side while still being creative. This will allow them to contribute to society in a more meaningful way. One thing the readings had in common was the idea of technology and how it would affect. 

Filippo Tommaso Marinetti was quite effective with his poetic reading but I still feel like his views were stagnant and that he did not believe technology was going to help the art community. Although Marinetti was experimenting with the early form of graphic designs I still feel like his manifesto was overwhelming. Oppose to constructivists, like Aleksandr Rodchenko, who believed that art should be made in a way that it has function and meaning, that way it can last forever. Him and his wife wanted to do a service for their community and the world. They also refined several art designs and helped the development of graphic design to what we know it today via mass production. They didn’t see themselves as artists of fine art instead branded themselves as engineers. Last but not least, I believe technology came and changed the whole game; revolutionizing both the art and graphic design industries. It helped with its development and reach internationally. My favorite quote from the reading was “Technology is the mortal enemy of art”; yesterday’s artists used fine arts, whereas the designers of today use’s technology to help advance society in a positive way.