Nirel Escalante- February 18

Based on the readings, I could see how  the rapid development of technology in the first couple of decades of the 20th century inspired so many ideas and movements. In all of the readings I could tell It was a time full of excitement towards the future where technology is emphasized and celebrated. Some possibilities I think that the authors of these texts envisioned are a world of efficiency, progress, speed and functionality that is available and economical for everyone.

In all of the readings I could see how artists either predicted or anticipated the art and design that would follow ahead of their time. For example,  In the Futurist Manifesto by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, his ideals emphasized speed, technology, industrialism and modernity as well as war. In the aspects of speed, technology and industrialism I agree with his enthusiasm, however he was speaking on these aspects in a way where he wanted to take advantage of the technological advancements for violence and war, which he viewed as purifying. In that aspect we can connect how men such as Filippo Tommaso in todays age can take technological achievements for greed, power, and violence which is seen in America with all the advanced military weapons at our disposal and how we can have our way because of that.

In regards to the Constructivist Manifesto by Aleksandr Rodchenko he also emphasized industrialization as well as functionality and economy. He emphasized these things because he wanted to use graphic design as a force that serves society. He cared a lot about social issues and encouraged the use of technology, design and industrialism to change society for the better. He viewed himself as an engineer and inventor as well as a designer. I think his ideal on what it means to be a designer is relevant today because we have all the tools at our disposal to be the inventors as well as the designers. We have the tools to implement change in society and be the communicators for our generation.

In  El Lissitzky, Our Book,  he too emphasized technological advancements. He actually predicted the continuing of the dematerialization of society. He noted as correspondence grew, the telephone came to be invented. As communication networks developed, the radio helped ease the burden. Dematerialization couldn’t be more relevant in todays society with the invention of the television, computer and internet. He also mentioned being disappointed with the development of the book, how it stays the same as other fields develop with more inventions. I think he would be pleased to know how far we’ve come from books and how much more accessible they are with the internet.