The Bauhaus was an art school, founded by Walter Gropius in 1919, just after World War II, in Weimar Germany. The main influences behind the Bauhaus were modernism, the English Arts and Crafts movements, and Constructivism. Gropius reconciled these disparate influences at the Bauhaus, where the reigning principles were unity form and function, the idea that design is in service of the community, and a belief in the perfection and efficiency of geometry. After reading László Moholy-Nagy’s Typophoto, it made me feel that he thinks that the new ways to create art like with the printing press, will cause artists in the future to lose and or forget the vision of how art was done in the past. Herbert Bayer sees that as time moves on, things start to advance and so does the way of typography. Typographers create and explore deeper in new art styles as the art world moves on.

I think Bayer may feel that technology has taken away an artists ability to truly create inventions as demands for new inventions were made to make tasks easier to be done, as he also exemplifies Gutenberg’s printing press which was built and then advanced to do what itis programmed to do, and it had a huge impact and changes the typography world forever and it depletes an artists skill as the artists may even get replaced by a machine. I think just trying new things can bring out art more into the future because new ideas will bring you into the future. For example, Facebook, Instagram, Email, and Twitter bought us to the new future of contactless communication, and the creation of automobiles, public transfers, and air crafts bought us to the future of faster transportation and is still strong today which leads to improvements in sales and manufacturing.

What I think Gropius,  László Moholy-Nagy, and Bayer think about typography, photography, and media in the new art world is that these are the most important key factors in an artists life and that the way they were discovered and the artists that came before, new artists should be taught on how typography, photography, and the media came to be and with technologies advancements, it should help keep the way on how these careers were discovered and done, not change them. For me, I can’t imagine a world without design, I see it everywhere I go. In my home, on my clothes, on street signs and ads. When I think of language I start to think about words and letters, and I can imagine the world with those neither. Language is important as it helps us understand one another and is an essential role for communication and those two are essential roles for design. 

What should be taught about different fields of art in education is the importance of learning how to think critically and creatively. It’s important for young minds to learn how to think critically so that they can see that this is a skill not only for their own personal development but can be of use for their future careers as well. Of course, you’ve been told at a young age and still hear now that a high school diploma and a college degree can help you achieve many and better things in life or what life has to offer, and after that close friends and especially family expect you to work in jobs that are more looked up upon like a doctor, lawyer, and pilot mainly because of the money, and I just believe that a career in the arts is just as important and is treated with respect just as much as any other job field. The thought of art I think should be considered a main aspect of the 21st century in education because times are changing and the ways in which children learn will continue to grow, change, and develop. Therefore I think the school system and teachers need to incorporate opportunities for the arts within the classroom, where students should be allowed and be able to show what they have learned through design and even technology.