Tales of having two supervisors

Having two different supervisors means two different managing styles. While it was a bit confusing at first, I learned to adapt and act differently depending on which supervisor I’m interacting with them (and yes, I got one I prefer but shh.)

With Corinne, she sits right beside me so for the beginning of the internship she was the one I interacting with the most but that has changed now. If I send her the complete work for critique, she tells me “letter-by-letter” what needs to change. So with Corinne is often a one fix process. On the other hand, Yan tells me what needs fixing but doesn’t tell me what to do with it exactly. She allows me to figure it out on my own and fix it. Additionally, Corinne sends the work for critique to Callie herself while Yan asked me to do send it myself.

If I were to consider who my mentor is at the internship, I would definitely have to pick Yan. She often tries to challenge me and push me. She’s the one that gives me bigger responsibilities as the internship progress. For example, she was the one that tasked me with creating the entire week social media assets and weekly emails. Whenever a need task is giving to me by her, she calls me over to her desk and takes time to show me different tips on the task. As I mentioned, Photoshop is not my strongest skill but I’ve learned so much already with her tips! Also, as she pays extreme attention to everything, I’ve learned to develop a great eye for details (something that I used to lack in.)