Pacing yourself is key.

When I first started the internship I had one goal in my: to have a good intern’s use of time. I would try to finish as many tasks as I can quickly. Because I only work two days I had to learn to develop good time managing skills. For example, if I had a task that was due Wednesday I knew I had to get that done before I leave on Monday. But I made some mistakes.

Since I was so focused on finishing everything quickly, I would often rush projects and not even double-triple check before I sent out to review to Corinne and Yan. This proved to be super inefficient. Sure, I would get things done super fast but once I got feedback from my supervisors I had to make so many revisions that it would take a long time before it was officially done. I even started feeling like I was hindering my supervisor’s workflow as it was a constant back and forth on revisions that I needed to make. And the thing is that they never put any pressure on me to finish everything super quickly so I decided it was time to reevaluate my time management.

This is where knowing how to pace yourself comes into play. Soon, I began to slow down on the projects and make sure to triple check everything. Sure, there were times when I was too slow but after a week I found the right balance. Since I found out the right pacing, my workflow began to be efficient. Another thing I learned was to always show multiple versions as you can anticipate what changes the supervisor would’ve asked for had you only sent one version.

One thing to note is that as the internship progress, I’ve gotten less and fewer things I had to change on the projects I sent for feedback. I’ll take that a good sign that I’m improving!