What? I have to be there for 9 hours?

I work 18 hours a week in two days… Yea, I’ll let that sink in. So when I’m at the internship, I am there the whole day. Although work hours vary through departments, the creative team hours are 9:30am-6:30 pm with a flexible lunch break time. And as mentioned previously this only applies to my two supervisors and I as we’re the ones that are always there. But even this time is loose as I noticed that even Yan and Corinne sometimes come in around 10 am. So, there have been a few times where I’m the first there.

So, you might be wondering what do I do then if my supervisors aren’t there? Well, I still get to work! Since the company uses this website call Asana, I often have multiple tasks assign for me with various deadlines so I usually get started on whatever is due first. Thus, since I always have tasks line up, the 9 hours fly by (hurray for that!)

The way I work is that I complete the entire task and then ask for either Yan or Corinne to review the work. Even though they sit right next to me, I don’t verbally ask them to review my work. I slack them! At first, I found it so bizarre to message someone when they’re right next to you but then I learned to understand the benefits of doing this. Since everyone is working on their own projects they have the freedom to not have their workflow disturb and they can review the work whenever they have time. Yan and Corinne are usually really fast at giving me feedback though!

Once I get the feedback I make the necessary changes. And depending on the task assigned, it has to go for a final approval with the Art Director, Callie, even though when she’s not present in the office (which is most of the time) This often means even more revisions! This was a bit difficult at first as I would have different opinions being told to me. For example, there was a time I was working on designing the weekly email and Yan wanted me to zoom in a photo that was used even though I mentioned it would look weird like that. So, when it’s sent to Callie for final approval, she mentions that it looks weird and it should be zoomed out… so I had to revert it to how I originally had it in the first place. I guess this is where the role of the art director comes in as Callie had the final say on it.