How will this class work online?

On CUNYFirst, we are supposed to have a class between 2:30 pm and 3:45 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, I will organize this class little bit differently ā€“ a synchronous/asynchronous mixed online course. Unlike an in-person class, our class materials will be available between 12:01am on Tuesday and ends at 11:59 pm on Thursday; and you are required to complete all the assignments by Thursday. You have 72 hours to read, write, and complete all the assignments. I will post some short lecture videos (mostly slides with my voice), lecture notes with detailed explanation, short videos, weekly reading assignment, and discussion questions on Blackboard. Do the work whenever you can, but make sure to submit all the requirements by Thursday. For further instructions, see the FAQsĀ under ā€œStart Hereā€ folder.

Once you go to SOCI1102 on Blackboard, you will see two options on the left bar: Announcements and Content. These are the only two folders you must regularly check out throughout the semester. Click Content and you will see one folder, ā€œGetting Started.ā€ This folder has all the basic information about this class and you are welcome to go back and check it out, if needed. On September 1, a new weekly folder, ā€œWeek 1: Sept 1- Sept3ā€ will be available. However, you must complete all the work by Thursday night. The weekly folder will be disappeared by the end of that week. You can submit your assignments late, but no more than Sunday. Email me at jinkim@citytech.cuny.edu, if you need an accommodation with a legit reason.

Please see CUNY academic calendar. If there is no class scheduled on any Tuesday and Thursday, we do not have a class and you do not have any assignments. For example, on September 29, classes follow Monday schedule. In this week, we only have a Thursday class, if we follow regular schedule. I will reduce weekly assignments in half.

Synchronous group and individual meetings.

As I explained earlier, this class meets asynchronously. You follow my instructions and complete all the work for the week.

Yet, I will assign students into a group with 4-5 students for the weekly group discussion board posts; and have individual and group meetings during our class hours (2:30 pm to 3:45 pm). Please check out the group meeting document, under ā€œGetting Startedā€ in Week 2.

Print this page