Ethics in Graphic Design 2a & 2b

In the past I have use the creative works of a friend who I asked permission for first. He is a producer and creates music, and normally I put music on my process videos when uploading my work so the video isn’t just silence. Usually I try to match the music with the type of art I’ve created (slow music for things about love or fast music for some crazy art piece). Upon getting his approval, I would tag his profile and say “music credits”. People can easily click his profile and go check out his music just from looking at my own work.

When I read over the case, at first I felt like maybe he didn’t deserve to be sued for not knowing the photo he used was infringed use of copyright, but then when he admitted to knowing and tried to cover it up out of realizing his mistake, then I understood better why they wanted to sue him. Regardless of knowing the use of something. is ok or not, it is still important to do your research and figure it out, and if there’s no way of figuring it out, then it just shouldn’t be used. Had he done his research, maybe he could’ve avoided all that trouble. He could’ve even gotten permission from the original photographer to use it, and they could’ve both profited from his design because that was a poster seen almost everywhere.

“Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard Grefé, AIGA. 

“Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard Grefé, AIGA.

Elliott, Carl. “Summary | Ethics of Design.” Ethics of Design, https://ethicsofdesign.wordpress.com/summary/. Accessed 10 June 2023.