About the Company

My role within the company is to help this team redesign a shirt and come up with ideas on how their swag bag gift can be for VIP members or members who attain an achievement. I came to select this internship because I’ve worked for this company for over five years, they’ve been amazing people to work around. They have seen my whole journey with obtaining my bachelor’s degree in communication design and have even contributed to helping me pay for some classes. The process I received this internship was easy because I knew so many people there, I just asked around if they knew any open internships, and because I work for the company, I get internal access to positions they may be open for people only within the company. I was told by a co-worker that my supervisor spoke about how they needed a designer for certain items. When I found out the supervisor I’ve known already needed one, I asked him. The interview process was pretty nonchalant because I knew him, and he knew of my skills, and studies from the beginning of my career there. Some questions he asked were about the new skills I’ve learned and developed during my years at City Tech. I also showed him my art page because he knew I could draw as I’ve worked before with this company during a custom shoe event where I drew on members’ cycling shoes. I knew that I got the position a couple hours later that day when he called to confirm. I was so excited to finally see how the real world can be with designing for a big company.

Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales, studio class