Run down of weeks

Week 1 (9/18)

I was doing research on other college sites such as York, Hunter , The City College of New York and so forth.I was looking at their navigation, sidebars, layouts , pages and basically their underlining structure.I took a closer look at the site the legal office has now within wordpress to see their organizer, code, menus and overall look of site. I find that some of the college sites had dropdown menus while others did not. My favorite one from the list of colleges above is The City College of New York because of the way the background is and the navigation. This become a big inspiration moving forward.

Week 2 (9/23 and 9/25)

The research continued with me looking closer at sites and using a spreadsheet in excel to organize thoughts.I would write down notes/comments on details I like such as their menus and so forth. I noted the changes I want to make with the site and discussed them with my boss, Gilen Chan.I looked up ways in which I can achieve these changes such as changing themes, customizing menus and so forth.

Week 3 (10/2)

I did research on what plugins,code,JQuery, and PHP can be added to improve wordpress site. When I tried to add a plugin I figured out I was not allowed access to install plugins. This lead me to email the professor (Mr.Wong) that I get me the internship and created the code to ask for more access to the site. His response was to meet him during his office hours to discuss the site.

Week 4 (10/6 ,10/7 and 10/9)

Doing more research so when I meet Professor Wong I am ready. I am looking up PHP code on how to create a dropdown menu and making it personal to the site.I am making notes on what elements I really want to change and how I would change it. I am figuring out what widgets would work best for the site in order to help with navigation of the legal site. When finally meeting with , Professor Wong on 10/9 ,  I was told that he does not want me touching the layout just revising and adding new content.

Week 5 (10/14 and 10/16)

Time is flying by.I cant believe it has already been 5 weeks. I come to the internship today and told my boss, Mrs.Chan about what Professor Wong told me last week.Mrs. Chan says now that she has to meet with Professor Wong. Mrs.Chan wants a site just for the office of legal affairs that is separate from diversity office. So today I am still doing research to get ideas for look of site and practicing coding using Codeacademy. I am doing lessons on PHP which is what WordPress uses. On 10/16 I started making a new WordPress site for the legal affairs site.I choose a new layout, menu and so forth.

Week 6 (10/20 and 10/23)

Today I am still working on the site. I am downloading new free themes and playing with the layouts. I am making all the pages and post plus putting together menu. On 10/23 I attended a meeting with the supervisor where she was talking to other chairs about the law and how it applies to students. Basically supervisor, Gilen Chan, give her presentation and I was on the computer helping her with the Powerpoint so it moves from one slide to the next. I was just there to hit right arrow on the keyboard but I did learn about the law and how much you really need conference during a presentation. Chan is good with keeping the attention of the room and good on her feet.Chan had examples that helped  further her points.I did not meet anyone during the meeting or talk to anyone there.

Week 7 (10/27 and 10/30)

This week I worked further on the site by downloading XAMPP  to computer at internship. XAMPP lets me use WordPress to have website locally hosted on my computer only. So every time I am at the internship I start Apache HTTP  server and MySQL database to access WordPress site. I am working on a wordpress theme directly but changing it to make it work for the office. I added pictures I take of the college to my site.

IMG_20141030_091343 IMG_20141030_091510 IMG_20141030_091552  IMG_20141030_092942

It is in a slide format and each page has a school background. The text box is transparent. I added a paper background for the hover of the buttons. I am also trying to meet with Professor Wong to talk about having the website go live through email. Professor Wong told me to meet him during his office hours.

Week 8 (11/4 and 11/6)

On November 3rd I tried to meet with Professor Wong in person during his office hours. However Professor Wong was not in so I emailed Professor Wong. Wong’s response was that Mrs.Chan talked to him and told him how much she likes the site I did. I showed, Mrs.Chen, how my internship site looks so far and she enjoyed how the background image was of the school that I take.The boss also liked the way the menu is with spry and how the container is transparent. Mrs.Chan says she will like to use it. However I still having so much trouble meeting Professor Wong I told him how I did and what I can do to make it live.I am still furthering the site and doing research on how to make the index page be automatically where every time you add a page  to wordpress  it will index it by itself.

Week 9 (11/11 and 11/13)

On November 10th, that tuesday, I finally talked to Professor Wong in person. Professor Wong suggested he give me a domain name so it can be live and internship can use it when I leave. Basically Mrs.Chan wants the new site for Office of Legal Affairs and Compliance to be the one I created. Professor Wong said  he will come on the 11th to see the site. However he get swamped and did not come. On the 13th he emailed me back telling me he will come another time. This week I also checked about plugins to make my index page, sub pages and announcement page better.

Week 10(11/17 and 11/2 0)

This week I am trying out new new plugins I installed. The plugin allows some of the pages to have a spry element with collapsible panels.I used this plugin for indexing pages  by putting letters into a group like A – D. By using the spry collapsible panel it gives me more room to have a lot more without looking clustered or hard to read.

Week 11( 11/24)

This week I am finishing more of the content and getting it even more ready to be live. I am thinking and doing research on how to customize the menu even more. I figured out how to make menu more personal and individual to relate to law. I added a kind of wood background to bring in the law aspect of the site. I even thought about playing with the menu hovers but nothing ever worked out. In addition, I take more images for the background of site.

DSC_0130 DSC_0134 DSC_0136 DSC_0141 DSC_0144 DSC_0146

Week 12(12/2 and 12/4)

This is my final week.I am still waiting for Professor Wong to see the site. I am also furthering my website by making the wordpress theme more unique. On the last day of my internship I finally meet with Professor Wong. We discussed adding my WordPress website to the one he already made for the legal office. I sent him a link to the WordPress theme with all my pages.

about announcements closed_menu_javascript recruitment releases ada  compliance index