CUNY Explorers – Post 5

My internship did not involve collaborative projects with my co-workers; however, my job requires weekly collaboration with my co-workers. It is crucial to communicate with one another during working together, both verbally and non-verbally. As part of the tour, there is a brief discussion about where we are heading, and who will cover who during the tour. Sometimes during tours, we need alternations between the two teams. To prevent one person from saying too much, and to ensure the tour runs smoothly. When we have speakers, that is a luxury we have but sometimes it’s not always the case.

There are times when we have to go with the flow. We have to make sure that what the audience is given is ingrained in our minds and that we can recall it in the near future. I usually work in groups of 2-3, answering any questions attendees need answered. It was very successful from what I saw. The first time, I was anxious to speak publicly and tripped on my words. However, when I talked about my major at the Pearl Building, I was much more comfortable. What made it successful was my major knowledge. I knew what to say which is half the battle. As for other things, I was unsuccessful when I didn’t know what to talk about. While I had the information in my head, I wasn’t sure what to say.

This is why I chose to rectify the situation by bringing a checklist with me so I have a record of what I have covered and what I have not covered. In my opinion, I would refer to it when I am listening to my partner speak or when I know it is time for me to speak up.