Reflection on Annotated Bibliography

Corevel Cova

ENG 1101

Prof. Jewelle

11.17.2019

Reflection on Annotated Bibliography

1. Reggae music has changed the world in its own way and this is primarily dependent on the following four commonalities that the samples I selected share. The all delve into major topics of how to live your life. It provides a how to whether it be a good person, live authentically in your love or if to use marijuana. They also rely heavily on the “I” perspective as in they sing and write from a place closest to the creative. This is what gives great reggae music that enduring quality. It resonates with its audience throughout decades because of this authenticity. The third is that of impact. Reggae music has a feel good quality to it, which is intended to leave its listener in a better space after its consumption. The fourth and interestingly most important one is that of its audience. Reggae music crosses barrier but majority of it speaks directly t the Caribbean mind as they are usually rooted in religion and unity. These two themes are foundational pillars in our community and can be seen in the way that artistes portray themselves. I learnt how across the Caribbean the value system rarely changes firmly rooted in Christianity and a love for one’s neighbor. This is what makes reggae music so special because we know the songs as they reflect our lives. I want to learn more about the split of the wailers and how Bob Marley may have felt after the split upon the rise of Peter Tosh in his own right.
  2. I believe that I am strong at analyzing material and creating content. I can logically see pros and cons of a subject without becoming emotionally invested but understand the desired effect of the writer. Sometimes I think that this might also be a problem because the material doesn’t affect me as it once did. I think its because life has made me jaded and in so doing immune to events that are intended to stir something within the reader. This in turn leads to what I believe is my major flaw as a writer. Without emotional attachment to the writing, I lack incentive and creativity about both method and initial idea because I tend to lack emotional connection to most if any written material. I think to fully achieve my true potential as a writer is to break down those mental barriers I have, I need to tap into issues that I know relate to me and make it extremely personal and not seek external validation. I’ve always written to this day for others and by this I mean my target audience has always been my sole motivation behind writing. I need to every week commit to writing for myself. This will provide me with an opportunity to reflect on myself as a person and tap into what are my deeper issues with writing.