Personal Experience essay

Student: Yasminah Carmela Jn Baptiste Raymond            

Professor: Ms. Jewell                                                                                                                                                  Course   : English 1101                                                           

Date      : 09/10/2019          

Direction: Write an essay about your personal experience.  

My name is Yasminah. I’m from Haiti. In my country they speak French and Creole. Therefore, when I first started high school in the United States in New York City, English was the hardest subject for me. The reason was because I wasn’t an Anglo. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what to do to speak this language fluently. As a result of when I introduced myself in my ESL class I used English that come from outside. In contrary, I remained speechless in order courses. I remember that while I was in the street I heard a man said ‘’you buy gun’’ and a lady said’’in the store’’. So, when I presented myself in the ESL class I made a sentence with those words. I said louder in my presentation you buy gun in the store. As consequence, everybody laughed at me and I felt ashamed. Finally, when the class was over the teacher showed me in my own language the meaning of my sentence on google translate. Thus, this made me more desperate than before, In addition, during the lunch time some of my classmates bothered me for my wrongdoing. I felt embarrassed. Instead focusing on shame I turned it into guilt. One day, I asked my older brother what to do to speak structured English. He told me studying grammar, vocabulary, and reading newspaper will help me. Then I followed his advice. Consequently, after one month I made progress in English. When talked in class everbody understood me. Tp sum up, I faced a lot of adversity to understand English.