Literary Narrative Essay

Yasminah Carmela Jn Baptiste Raymond 

Profesor: Ms. Jewell 

Date      : 09/17/2019 

Direction: Write a literary essay that talk about your writing and reading experience

Learning to read and write in whatever language is crucial. However, I considered it as a basic skill in school education. When I was in first grade, I applied myself to be able to write and read in French. As a result of I became aware about what I read in books, and whatever sources in that language. To sum up, based on my writing I was able to enhance my reading comprehension.  

Therefore, my native language is Creole.  However, I made a great stride to be able to write in French. When I was in kindergarden, I didn’t acquire any knowledge of it. Even the alphabet seemed unfamiliar to me. I became fascinated with writing in French when I was in first grade. The reason was because I saw my cousin creating foreign words with beautiful handwriting. So, I imitated him. I sought assistance from my French teacher. When he taught me French he first began to show me how to do the letters of alphabet. I remember my right hand trembling with holding it to help me did the letters. I also remember that I cried when I didn’t know how to do capital Y. However, as an eight years old girl I experienced resistance. Even it was difficult for me to write, I kept doing it until I could make words with the letters. In summary, my love for writing helped me go farther. 

According to my own experience in reading in first grade, it was a little bit burdensome for me to read in French. The cause of that was while I learned to write I sometime combined letters to make words with them. As a result of when I was reading a book I was familiar with some words. But, sometime I didn’t understand what I red.  

Unfortunately, words like basketball, and volleyball were strenuous for me to pronounce they were words that French borrowed from English. I knew they came from English because my French instructor told me that. To solve this issue I  asked my nephew to teach me how to articulate them. Then, while he taught me how to utter them I had some difficulty to say them correctly. However, after many practices I was able to pronounce them perfectly.  

All in all, the reflection of my writing upon my reading made me to understand French. In my own experience, I made a lot of efforts to to be able to write and read in French. Moreover, my curiosity made me knew to items. Firstly, after those two experiences I learned that writing is related to reading. Secondly, after I crossed the boundary from learning to write to learning to read I discovered that some terms in French derived from English.